Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto goes to SWOD after only a few trashing of Pix

I sent several pix to trash from the open iPhoto window, then while I was cropping some others, SWOD. What gives? I thought they had fixed it so we could do many pix before it quit working properly.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Samsung Display

Posted on May 24, 2013 12:07 PM

5 replies

May 24, 2013 12:44 PM in response to LarryHN

iPhoto 11 ver 9.4.3. Spinning Wheel of Death. I was scanning through my iPhoto library in the iPhoto window, I clicked on a pic I wanted to throw away, (oh, I was in the "Photos" section of the Library in the iPhoto window) then clicked a pic, clicked up in the menu- Photos- Move to Trash. (That is iPhoto trash.) No, I didn't empty it. Years ago, when I first got my eMac, iPhoto had a problem, if I tried to edit more than a few photos in a half hour, or tried to make new albums and transfer pix from one to another, iPhoto had problems. Up would pop the SWOD. Very frustrating. I thought they had managed to correct it after all these years, Oh, well.

May 24, 2013 1:16 PM in response to LINDA CATE

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In Library Manager it's the FIle -> Rebuild command)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

May 24, 2013 7:00 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks Old Toad, I needed a laugh. I thought of that the first time I heard of the Spinning Wheel of Death. Wonder why the other guy who is a level 8 never heard of it? Maybe he didn't need to read the Mac for Dummies, I'm still glad I bought that book. I'll try the library rebuild if it happens again, right now, I'm way too tired to think my way through it. Appreciate all of you.

iPhoto goes to SWOD after only a few trashing of Pix

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.