Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I install the Syriac Language on my MacBook Pro with Retina Display? Version OS X- 10.8.3?

I have having difficulty installing Syriac on my MacBook Pro.

I am not too tech-savy, but would appreciate how I can go about installing Syriac.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 24, 2013 3:11 PM

10 replies

May 25, 2013 3:05 AM in response to AssyrianRoyalty

To type any language you go to system preferences/language & text/input sources, check the box for the keyboard you want, select it in the "flag" menu at the top right of the screen, and type. You select Keyboard Viewer from the same menu to see which key does what.

To deactivate Damascus you open FontBook in Applications and then select that font and do Edit > Disable. There are plenty of other Arabic fonts, so it will not cause a problem.

Post again if you have a problem.

May 25, 2013 3:32 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

I had no problem disabeling the Damascus-Arabic font.

I also pasted the "MelthoFonts" into the Font folder, under Applications. What should I do with the SyriacKeyboard download?

Also, am I to choose the Arabic keyboard in the Language & Text box? There is no Syriac keyboard found in the list of languages/keyboards for me to check off. I also type "Syriac" in the bar and nothing comes up.

Thanks.

May 25, 2013 4:16 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

This is my first Mac so please be patient with me. 🙂

Keyboard Layouts is located where? Under the System Preferences > Keyboard location? I am unable to drag the Keyboard download to that location.

I did log out and back in and Syriac was not found on the list for me to check off, under Input Sources, where all the other flags are located.

I greatly appreciate your help with this.

May 26, 2013 11:29 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

I finally got the list to show the Syriac language.

Now the problem is when writing in Syriac on a Word document, the letters are not connecting appropriately. But when I paste the same word on a web page (below the image attached), the letters all connect correctly. Is there a way to have the letters automatically connect in Word?

User uploaded file

ܪܡܣܢ

Thank you.

How can I install the Syriac Language on my MacBook Pro with Retina Display? Version OS X- 10.8.3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.