Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I correct a Double NAT status?

I have used time capsule 2TB for a while, made changes many times,never had a problem but today after I made changes it is giving me a blinking amber light from the time capsule unit and from the airport wireless utility status "Double NAT". How can I correct this status?

Thank you in adavnce for the help.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 24, 2013 8:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2013 6:49 AM

Hi Thortey,

If you are having issues with a "Double NAT" notification, you may want to take a look at the following article; while it speaks to Double NAT specifically in the context of Back to My Mac, the information and resolution steps for a Double NAT configuration should be universal:

Back to My Mac: "Double NAT" configurations may prevent Back to My Mac connections

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1208

Cheers,

- Brenden

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2013 6:49 AM in response to Thortey

Hi Thortey,

If you are having issues with a "Double NAT" notification, you may want to take a look at the following article; while it speaks to Double NAT specifically in the context of Back to My Mac, the information and resolution steps for a Double NAT configuration should be universal:

Back to My Mac: "Double NAT" configurations may prevent Back to My Mac connections

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1208

Cheers,

- Brenden

May 27, 2013 7:18 AM in response to Thortey

Double NAT means you have 2 routers on your LAN. One is connected to the internet through your modem, or your modem is also a router, and then you have the time capsule which is also a router. One is connected to the other from LAN port on router one to WAN/Internet port of router 2.

You can still use 2 routers but you must disable, turn off, the DHCP server on the second router and connect from LAN port on router one to LAN port on router 2. Not using the WAN/Internet port on the second router in the chain.

That turns the second router into a switch with no DHCP server.

How do I correct a Double NAT status?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.