Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to run PowerPC software on new Macs

Want to install and run an old Power PC sortware on a new Intel Mac.

Upon installation, a pop up window on the new Mac says Power PC is no longer support.

My friend had the same software running smoothly on a 2009 Macbook Pro. He installed the software long ago on his old Power PC mac and then through migration the software is now running on his Intel Mac.

Did I miss anything during installation?

Thanks

NC

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 25, 2013 1:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2013 1:44 AM

Snow Leopard supported Rosetta which enabled the running of PPC applications on Intel Macs.

Lion and Mountain Lion do not support Rosetta, so you cannot run PPC software on the latest Macs.

13 replies

May 25, 2013 7:37 AM in response to NC Cheung

There is a way to do it, but not pain free.

You can get Parallels Desktop for Mac, which is virtualization software that enables you to run guest operating systems on a Mac like Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, etc.

One of the guests that is allowed is OSX Snow Leopard Server. (Regular Snow Leopard will not run - you need the Server Edition). This is no longer available from Apple, but may be available on eBay, Amazon, etc.

From Snow Leopard Server you can run Rosetta Apps.

Here are some relevant links.

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?265008-Run-Snow-Leopard-In-Parallels-8 -In-Mountain-Lion-From-A-Snow-Leopard-Partition

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?208863-Running-Quicken-Using-Parallels &highlight=rosetta

May 25, 2013 8:36 AM in response to AppleMan1958

Can't believe Apple pulled OS X Snow Leopard Server from the store!!!!!

But they are still selling regular Snow Leopard.

I wonder if Apple discontinued this because they found out user were running it in virtualization mode to still run their PowerPC apps this way. That's not right if that is why Apple did do this.

I wonder if you can still get this if you call Apple, directly.

There goes being able to run PowerPC apps on the new iMacs.

At least once the supply of Snow Leopard Server discs run out.

I may try and purchase this before the supply runs out.

May 25, 2013 10:38 PM in response to NC Cheung

MichelPM wrote:

Can't believe Apple pulled OS X Snow Leopard Server from the store!!!!!

Don't believe EVERYTHING you read on the Internet!

"Apple is now selling Snow Leopard Server for $19.99 + sales tax & shipping costs at 1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753) - Apple Part Number: MC588Z/A (telephone orders only - USA & Canada only)."

It was never recently offered on the internet-based Apple Store; only telephone orders...

I have already trans-shipped copies to Italy and the UK!

User uploaded file

[click on image to enlarge]

May 25, 2013 10:43 PM in response to AppleMan1958

AppleMan1958 wrote:

Regular Snow Leopard will not run - you need the Server Edition).

WRONG: See this thread if running Snow Leopard client is important to you:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1365439

AppleMan1958 wrote:

This is no longer available from Apple...

WRONG: See the prior post...

RIGHT: Adobe Creative Suite (CS2) Photoshop PowerPC app running in Snow Leopard Server installed into Parallels 8 for use on a Lion/Mt. Mac:

User uploaded file

[click on image to enlarge]

Feb 4, 2016 11:34 AM in response to NC Cheung

How to run PowerPC applications on Mac OS X. I have 10.7.2 OS X Lion. The thing you are looking for is Mac Addict Disc 125. It is in Utilities on that disc that you will find Application Wizard. This is important. Also a copy of Tiger OS X 10.4 would come in handy. You would place Tiger OS X 10.4 in Developer folder on Hard Drive. Afterwards running Application Wizard should allow you to force Rosetta applications to run in Rosetta. This is Classic Mac OS you can force applications to run in this. This Mac Addict Disc 125 will allow install on OS X. It is one of the OS X discs placed out there by Mac Addict.

Feb 4, 2016 8:09 PM in response to Trane Raeck

Uh...

Do you know what you are talking about?

There is no magic application, alone, that will allow PowerPC software to run on Macs with OS X 10,7 or newer.

Rosetta is gone and can no longer be obtained and I do not believe there is any substitute for it that runs on newer versions of OS X.

An Internet search revealed nothing.

If it's on a Mac Addict Disc, what is the name of this whiz bang, magical (probably orphan) program that will allow PowerPC apps to run on OS X 10.7 and later?

Hmmmm?

Train Wreck is correct for you!

Feb 4, 2016 8:16 PM in response to MichelPM

MichelPM wrote:

Rosetta is gone and can no longer be obtained and I do not believe there is any substitute for it that runs on newer versions of OS X.

I agree with everything you've said except for the above. I have an OSX 10.6.8 virtual machine and if I install a program that requires Rosetta and run it, I will get a notice that I need Rosetta and it will still download and install from Apple.

Other than that. I agree. 😎

How to run PowerPC software on new Macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.