Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airpot Utility shows non-existant device

Hi folks,

for some reason my airport utility keeps showing an additional airport express device which does not exist.

I was about to reconfigure the deivce and all of a sudden it kept showing two devices (Airport Express and Airport Express (2)".

The second one is showing as connected but when I try to click on it, it keeps trying to read the settings and can't (obvious since there is no device).

I have done hard resetting of the correct device, unplugged, re-installed airport utility 6.2 and even installed airport utility 5.6.1 (BTW, I'm on os x 10.8.3).

Interestignly the 5.6.1 utility only shows the correct deivce and also the IOS airport app shows only the correct one.

Can anybody help on that`?

TA in advance!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Airport Utility 6.2

Posted on May 24, 2013 11:33 PM

1 reply

May 25, 2013 11:31 AM in response to papatpat

All AirPort Express devices on your LAN will appear, even if they are not yours. That may be the case if you are in an apartment or similar building served by a central router. AirPort Utility will see them but you won't be able to do anything with them (unless you know their passwords).

If that is not applicable to you, read:

iOS AirPort Utility: After removing power from an AirPort Base Station, the device is still shown in Network view

Also, AirPort Utility 5.6.1 is for Snow Leopard. Use AirPort Utility 5.6 if you want to modify settings that cannot be modified with AU 6.2. Do so at your own risk, since Apple's reasons for omitting those features from its latest version are known only to them.

Airpot Utility shows non-existant device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.