Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading OS 9.0.4 to Mac OS X 10.3 on iMac G3 350MHz

Hi. I have an iMac G3 PowerPC 350MHz and it is a slot loading model. I have recently purchased the retail discs for OS X 10.3 in the hope of upgrading it, but when I insert the discs and attempt to run the installer, it asks me to restart the machine to begin the instaler. However nothing happens and it just boots back into OS 9.0.4. 😕

I have attempted to search for the reason for this, but have come across many possible solutions;

- Need to update to OS 9.2

- Need to run an iMac Firmware Update

- Need to use an Apple Keyboard and the command key (I'm currently using a Microsoft USB Keyboard)

- Need to use something called a 'programers button'

It'd be much apreciated if someone could clarify exactly how I can get 10.3 on my iMac.

Thanks in advance guys! 🙂

P.S: It isn't conected to the internet (as I'm not sure how to do this) and has no airport card, so if an update is needed, please could you explain to me how to do it!! Thanks again! 🙂

iMac, Mac OS 9.0.x, PowerPC G3 350MHz (Blueberry)

Posted on May 25, 2013 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2013 9:23 AM

Although this article was written over 8 years ago, it will give you some good information - especially the recommendations regarding hard drive capacity and installed memory. Unfortunately, the posted links to Apple's tech articles and/or downloads contained within it are outdated/obsolete, much to the frustration of users who come to the Forums looking for these downloads. You can check the BootROM version using the Apple System Profiler. If it indicates anything other than 4.1.9, you should run the update. You can find the iMac 4.1.9 Firmware Update here. To run it, the iMac must be booted from the internal hard drive running OS 9.1 (not 9.2.1 or 9.2.2). It's getting harder to find a download source for the Mac OS 9.1 Update, but it can be found here. Unfortunately, this site has the 15-part segmented download. An alternate, segmented download was made available by Apple years ago, to accommodate users without high-speed internet, who experienced dropped connections with dial-up during large-file downloads. After downloading the 15 segments, copy them to a designated folder on the iMac's hard drive. I assume that you're using a newer computer to access the internet, so if you can burn the downloaded segments to a CD, it would make the transfer to the iMac a lot easier. When you double-click on the 1st file (a self-mounting image), a disk image of the Mac OS 9.1 Update will appear on the desktop. I usually drag it to the hard drive, and then open the folder and follow the directions contained in a SimpleText document.

After you successfully install the version of Panther contained on your installation disks, you should run the OS 10.3.9 Combined Update, to bring it fully up-to-date. High-speed internet configuration can be discussed when you get to that point. Incidentally, a Windows keyboard can be used instead of an Apple keyboard. Just keep in mind that the Windows logo key is the Apple "Command" key and the Windows "Alt" key is the Apple "alt/option" key. In relation to the space bar, these two keys are juxtaposed on a PC keyboard, when compared to an Apple keyboard.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2013 9:23 AM in response to tomdav10

Although this article was written over 8 years ago, it will give you some good information - especially the recommendations regarding hard drive capacity and installed memory. Unfortunately, the posted links to Apple's tech articles and/or downloads contained within it are outdated/obsolete, much to the frustration of users who come to the Forums looking for these downloads. You can check the BootROM version using the Apple System Profiler. If it indicates anything other than 4.1.9, you should run the update. You can find the iMac 4.1.9 Firmware Update here. To run it, the iMac must be booted from the internal hard drive running OS 9.1 (not 9.2.1 or 9.2.2). It's getting harder to find a download source for the Mac OS 9.1 Update, but it can be found here. Unfortunately, this site has the 15-part segmented download. An alternate, segmented download was made available by Apple years ago, to accommodate users without high-speed internet, who experienced dropped connections with dial-up during large-file downloads. After downloading the 15 segments, copy them to a designated folder on the iMac's hard drive. I assume that you're using a newer computer to access the internet, so if you can burn the downloaded segments to a CD, it would make the transfer to the iMac a lot easier. When you double-click on the 1st file (a self-mounting image), a disk image of the Mac OS 9.1 Update will appear on the desktop. I usually drag it to the hard drive, and then open the folder and follow the directions contained in a SimpleText document.

After you successfully install the version of Panther contained on your installation disks, you should run the OS 10.3.9 Combined Update, to bring it fully up-to-date. High-speed internet configuration can be discussed when you get to that point. Incidentally, a Windows keyboard can be used instead of an Apple keyboard. Just keep in mind that the Windows logo key is the Apple "Command" key and the Windows "Alt" key is the Apple "alt/option" key. In relation to the space bar, these two keys are juxtaposed on a PC keyboard, when compared to an Apple keyboard.

May 25, 2013 3:05 PM in response to MichelPM

The last slot-loading iMacs I ran the 4.1.9 Firmware Update on were running OS 8.6, 9.0.x, or 9.1. Obviously, the two pre-9.1 versions had to be updated to 9.1. In this Topic, the O.P. intends to install Panther, so I wanted to save him the time of updating beyond OS 9.1, just to run the Firmware Update. That's why I wrote "running OS 9.1 (not 9.2.1 or 9.2.2)."

If you're referring to the O.P. in Australia with his 1998 iMac, he would be running an older Firmware Update (Version 1.2) for the tray-loading iMacs 233/266/333 MHz models). In his case, the Firmware Updater may or may not run on version 9.2.x, because the installer program checks for OS 8.0. I seem to remember users who had to downgrade from OS 9.x, just to run the firmware update on those first-generation iMacs.

May 26, 2013 5:36 AM in response to Jeff

Hi Jeff, thank you very much for the quick reply. That was one of the articles I had come accross, but like you said the download links are out of date, so you providing the updated ones is a god send!

I have downloaded both the firmware update and the 15 parts of the OS9.1 update, but I don't have any CDs (yet!) to transfer them over to my iMac. I wil try this as soon as possible.

Thanks again for all your help!

May 26, 2013 7:09 AM in response to Jeff

Jeff,

With regards to my earlier reply, I have copied the 15 parts to a disc, and it works as you descibed, however, it tells me, 'This version of Mac OS 9.1 may only be installed over the US English Version Mac OS'

I assume this means I have a UK version of Mac OS 9.0.4 and therefore the 15 part update to 9.1 is a US version? If this is trure, do you know a source for the UK 9.1 update?

Thanks

May 26, 2013 9:27 AM in response to tomdav10

The International-English version of the Mac OS 9.1 Update can be found here. I tested the first download link, and it's good. As far as iTunes goes, one of the earliest versions (1.1) was compatible with OS 9.0.4/9.1. You can check the web for a download link, but finding an English version still available may be next to impossible. Apple doesn't let third-party sites post downloads of their programs (current or past). Years ago, there was a downloadable patch for iTunes 1.1, that enabled it to run on Mac OS 8.6. I used it back then on my pre-OS 9 Macs. On Macs running OS 9.1, 9.2.1, and 9.2.2, iTunes 2.0.4 should run without problems.

Upgrading OS 9.0.4 to Mac OS X 10.3 on iMac G3 350MHz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.