Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reviving archived thread re short Apple wired aluminum keyboard A1242

This archived discussion was the only reference I could find regarding the use of a short Apple wired aluminum keyboard A1242—such as the one that came with some iMacs some five years ago—on a Power PC under Tiger 10.4.11, specifically my G5 Quad. I just came into possession of one.

User uploaded file

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2325809?answerId=11033530022#11033530022

The issue is exactly the same as described by the OP and BDAqua in that some F keys do not work as expected. The only one that I would love to have fully functional is F10 for muting and unmuting the speaker.

Other than that, the rest of the keyboard works perfectly, and I'm ecstatic to have gotten ride of the by now—in my retirement—utterly useless numeric keypad and to have the mouse and the tablet, when in use, within easy reach.

My reason for posting now is just to see if anyone else has confirmed BDAqua's speculation that it's simply a PPC/Tiger issue, rather than a defective keyboard. The keyboard works fine when connected to my Snow Leopard 10.6.8 system through my USB switch box. So the keyboard is not at fault.

I haven't yet tried booting the G5 Quad into Leopard (alternative boot volume available and ready) because, frankly, I have no use for Leopard any more now that I'm hooked up to a Snow Leopard system through a rescued-from-the-trash MacIntel Mac Book.

Thanks in advance for any input from anybody. 🙂

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 2.5G5Quad,16GB,7800GTX 512MB, Tiger

Posted on May 25, 2013 5:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2013 10:58 AM

Hello,

I think Spark cured this for another person and the same problem...

http://www.shadowlab.org/Software/spark.php

8 replies

Nov 10, 2013 6:25 PM in response to Peter Hillman

Peter Hillman wrote:

The A1242 version of the keyboard requires Mac OS X 10.5.6, which explains why it does not natively work with OS X 10.4.11…

Just to clarify, the keyboard does work natively with Tiger 10.4.11 right out of the box. It's only the aforementioned F-keys that require Spark in order to perform certain tasks.

Yes, Sparks solves the issue.

It's a huge relief to work with a graphics tablet—or even just the mouse—on a graphics application without the numeric pad and extra space for the arrow keys.

I kept all my full-length keyboards just in case, but I haven't had a need to use them even once.

Reviving archived thread re short Apple wired aluminum keyboard A1242

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.