Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod corrupts every few days

Hi all. I've seen variations of this, but never quite this.

A couple of weeks ago my iPod classic (80 GB) started acting up when I went to synch. It would take a while to be recognized. Then it wouldn't be recognized at all. It would freeze iTunes and My Computer.

Off-line the iPod started getting more and more sluggish. Every once in a while I could not pause, change volume, etc. until the screen went to sleep, then everything worked fine.

Finally I did the old stand by, put it into disk mode, did a low level format, restored, and re-loaded everything up. (Almost full 80GB iPod, so overnight). Everything is fine for a couple of days. Then the same behaviors start happening.

I tried flushing my iTunes library (after backing up) and starting from scratch. (I’d red somewhere that someone had playlists that were corrupting their iPod.) I figure I'll miss my playlists and histories but not as much as the $300 for a new iPod. As an experiment I tried loading about 5GB of music onto the iPod (partly for time considerations). Same behavior. I’m not sure if it’s the amount of time or the number of syncs.

I suppose it could be hardware (the iPod is 5 years old, best iPod I’ve ever owned). It just seems odd that it works like new for a couple of days and then has issues. And only when I synch.

I’ll try another restore and see what happens if I only charge it with no synch. If it runs for a week with no issues I’ll be very confused.

Anyone else run into this?

To sum up:

Windows Vista (I know)

80GB iPod Classic

iTunes 11.0.3.42 (I KNOW!)

Won’t synch, won’t be recognized

Works fine after restore for a few days

HP, Windows Vista

Posted on May 25, 2013 9:50 AM

1 reply

Jun 1, 2013 7:00 AM in response to wpthomas007

Well, not much help here. Does this mean I'm not clear enough with the problem, no one has had this problem, or nobody cares about classic iPods anymore? Hmmm.

Update: I restored the ipod, loaded my usual library (12.7K songs). Then I left the ipod off synch all week and only charged with firewire wall charger. Yesterday I synched it for the first time in six days.

It took a few seconds for the iPod to respond. When it's "new" (right after restore) the iPod screen changes to "connected" instantly after being connected to the USB cable. This time it turned on (the screen lit) and stayed on the music menu for about 5-10 seconds. Then went to connected. Then went to synch. It synched with no problem after that. I'll try it again tonight to see what happens. This way I can restore and re-sync overnight if it goes badly. I'm not entirely optimistic.

Any help would be wonderful.

ipod corrupts every few days

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.