Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP! Recovering iPhoto library from external drive with TimeMachine. iPhoto library is missing from external drive

I moved my entire iPhoto library to an 1TB external Hard drive about a year ago, and with no problem.

This external Hard Drive is partitioned, half to Time Machine usage and half to a general "Storage" usage. The iPhoto library was in the "Storage" partition.

I have to plug my external hard drive in to my MacBook to use iPhoto of course, but this isn't an issue for me as I rarely take my laptop out.

A family memeber has managed to somehow mess with the "Storage" partition of the external hard drive, however. So I need to get my iPhoto library from Time Machine back onto my Mac, how do I do this?

I can't go into my MacBook in Time Machine because the iPhoto library is not in the Pictures folder in my User, because it was being stored on the "Storage" external drive.

It appears the Partition is sitll there - albeit "unmounted" whatever this means?!

Please help!!

User uploaded file

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum Late 2008), iOS 6.1.4

Posted on May 25, 2013 12:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2013 2:31 PM

I can't go into my MacBook in Time Machine because the iPhoto library is not in the Pictures folder in my User, because it was being stored on the "Storage" external drive.

Have you included the "Storage" drive in your Time Machine backup or not?

It appears the Partition is sitll there - albeit "unmounted" whatever this means?!

Unmounted means, that the file system on the external disk has not yet been made accessible. Try to mount the drive using disk utility. Select the partion, just like your screen shot is showing, and then try the icon with the two blue arrows in the toolbar to mount the drive.

User uploaded file

Once the drive is mounted, check what is left of the data.

Your screenshot does not look good. The name of the partition - disk2s1 - implies the name of the EFI firmware partition, and the formatting is MS-DOS (FAT), totally unsuitable to hold an iPhoto Library. Has your relative reformatted the partition? Then the data will be lost.

If you manage to mount the drive, select it in the Finder and then dive into the TM time tunnel.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2013 2:31 PM in response to montaguewarner

Have you included the "Storage" drive in your Time Machine backup or not?

Unmounted means, that the file system on the external disk has not yet been made accessible. Try to mount the drive using disk utility. Select the partion, just like your screen shot is showing, and then try the icon with the two blue arrows in the toolbar to mount the drive.

User uploaded file

Once the drive is mounted, check what is left of the data.

Your screenshot does not look good. The name of the partition - disk2s1 - implies the name of the EFI firmware partition, and the formatting is MS-DOS (FAT), totally unsuitable to hold an iPhoto Library. Has your relative reformatted the partition? Then the data will be lost.

If you manage to mount the drive, select it in the Finder and then dive into the TM time tunnel.

May 25, 2013 4:17 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for your reply - Okay so I tried to mount the drive which failed. It said I needed to repair the disk, which also failed.

After downloading some third party apps which try to recover - this also failed.

However, some good news, I found a backup on time machine of my iphoto library from Dec 2012. Which has all my images up to this date - essentially meaning that I have only lost 5 months worth, which is much better than nearly 7 years!

Okay so I have restored the back up iPhoto library, and want to now get this back on my external drive as it is too big for my MacBook built in hard drive.

Why is MS-DOS (FAT) unsuitable? What should I be using instead?

May 25, 2013 9:42 PM in response to montaguewarner

As Larry said - iPhoto will not work properly with the wrong formatting. You may get errors when copying the library to and from the drive, because the formats of the filenames are different. Long filenames will be problematic, also filenames with special characters.

You can reformat and rename the partition using Disk Utility's "Erase" tab.

Okay so I have restored the back up iPhoto library, and want to now get this back on my external drive as it is too big for my MacBook built in hard drive.

After you formatted the partition correctly, you can drag your recovered iPhoto library to the partition on the external drive using the Finder.

If you encounter copy errors - "some items could not be copied becasue you have no permission ..." then repair or rebuild your library before trying to copy. Also some filenames may need fixing, if the library has been on a partition wth the wrong format. Then post back.

Check your library carefully and back it up, before you delete it from your internal drive.

Léonie

May 29, 2013 8:45 AM in response to LarryHN

I had reformatted my external drive before reading this to MS-DOS (Fat) and trasnfered my iPhoto library back over.

It is working perfectly, but obviously I don't want issues again. So what is the easiest way to reformat the partition into a more suitable one for iPhoto. Will i need to put the library back onto my internal storage and reformat and transfer back?

HELP! Recovering iPhoto library from external drive with TimeMachine. iPhoto library is missing from external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.