Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

25GB missing after bootcamp install

I gave my windows 8 partition on my mbp with retina 50 gigs. After I installed all of my programs, including the OS, I've used 24.6 gigs. I found this number by going to my C drive, selecting everything, right-clicking, and clicking properties. The thing is, it says I only have 1.12 gb remaining in the computer window. Why is this? Does bootcamp secretly take up 25 gigs? How can I get my space back?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on May 25, 2013 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2013 5:32 PM

It is not secretly taking up 25GB. Windows allocates hard drive space to swap/paging in addition to the space required for your OS, programs, and data. The size of this swap file depends on how much ram you have.

50GB is too small for Windows. I recommend 100GB.

2 replies

May 26, 2013 2:29 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Alright, that makes since. I went ahead and removed my Windows partition via bootcamp, but now instead of a 250gb drive in OS X it's showing up as 200. How do I fix that before re-installling? It gave me an error while trying to remove Windows.

Do I need to re-install everything entirely? because that would kind of be annoying. My internet has a really low data cap and it's slow and I don't really want to go to my friends house and steal their wifi for an hour.

I'm really upset that this didn't work from the begining.

EDIT: Fixed it. This helped: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3588308?start=0&tstart=0

25GB missing after bootcamp install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.