Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disconnected iPhone 4S causes Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 router to reboot?

Hello!

For the past several months, I noticed my old Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 router (using the latest stock firmware) likes to reboot. I think I finally figured out its pattern. I think my house mate's Apple iPhone 4S (iOS 5 [will 6 fix it?]) is making my router reboot. I know he uses the house's wireless Internet to avoid his Verizon's capped, slower 3G Internet connection. It seems like when he goes out and after a few minutes later, my router sometimes will reboot.

That makes no sense. Weird! I never see this problem if he is out of town for days/weeks. I don't know how that is related. Is there something funky with this router and iPhone 4S' wifi? Is it a known issue? Electronics are so weird! 😟

Thank you in advance. 🙂

Posted on May 25, 2013 3:19 PM

5 replies

May 25, 2013 5:36 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Allan Sampson wrote:

If the iPhone is causing the router to reboot after leaving the range of the wireless network or after disconnecting from the network which I haven't heard of and doubt is the cause, but if so the problem lies with the router regardless.

How come other wireless devices do not have this problem like desktops, Palm devices, and MacBooks when turned off and/or moved far outside? 😟

May 25, 2013 6:32 PM in response to BobHarris

BobHarris wrote:

IT is still the router's problem.

Routers are not expensive. Get a new one.

Or, I think the WRT54 model routers can be re-flashed with the 'Tomato' or the 'dd-wrt' firmware.

Or you could chech if Cisco has its own firmware update for your router.

I did mention I was "using the latest stock firmware". I will see if a third party firmware will help even though it is tricky and easy to brick the router. 😟

Disconnected iPhone 4S causes Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 router to reboot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.