Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DisplayPort HDMI Colour Problems

Hi there.

I've got a late 2011 MacBook Pro (with the Radeon 6770M card). When certain conditions are met:

1. The machine is booted with the lid closed (it sits in a BookArc stand);

2. It is connected to an external display via the DisplayPort connector to an HDMI display;

3. It is booted into Windows under Boot Camp; and

4. The laptop lid is opened after boot.

...then the colour goes all... screwy. Here's what I mean. First picture is what the display colour should look like (as shown on the external monitor). Second picture is what it looks like on the MBP's inbuilt screen.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

This is driving me bananas. I've tried a couple of different things:

1. Boot Camp 4.0 drivers;

2. Boot Camp 4.1 drivers;

3. A different monitor cable;

4. A different external monitor;

5. A complete rebuild of OS X and Windows;

6. AMD native beta drivers (13.5).

Nothing's fixed it. I used to have a similar MBP, but with the 6750M card and that worked fine with the same connectors/stand/monitor/etc. The workaround is to boot it with the lid open, which is kind of a pain (in a first-world-problems kind of way).

I'm guessing there's a magic setting inside either Boot Camp control panel or drivers or even Windows itself that controls how it behaves with external monitors and colour settings and stuff like that, but I can't work it out.

Help?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on May 25, 2013 7:09 PM

2 replies

May 26, 2013 2:05 PM in response to Morbific

...anyone? It'd be useful to know:

1. You have a similar configuration but don't have this problem. This points to a hardware fault which I can get solved at a repair shop.

2. You have a similar configuration and do have this problem. This points to a configuration or underlying firmware problem, which can't be solved for any money, prayers to the divine, or whatever.

May 27, 2013 4:00 PM in response to Morbific

I have also tried Boot Camp 5 (5.0.2) drivers, no dice.

And spent hours mucking about with the Catalyst Control Centre for things like pixel colour format, and assigning different profiles using Windows Colour Management.

I'm getting the strong feeling this is something quite specific to how the card is initialised in certain states, and at a level low enough to be hidden from the user.

DisplayPort HDMI Colour Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.