Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Export physical HD to another Mac

All,

I have a PowerBook 190(cs) where the display died about a decade ago when the PB was in production use. There is no external display adaptor or port and I'd like to move it to another Mac. The Mac boots up, but the case is essentially totaled and I am planning to find an Mac LC model to add to my Apple collection in the near future, since I kinda don't want a 5300 type (too risky for me if I got one that was in the infamous recall in the mid 90s.)

My working knowlege on the vintage Mac has faded as time fades by, and doing quick research I don't know what HDD connection the PB used. I am assuming SCSI. It is running System 7.5.5, but I forget what "enablers" are running.

What should I expect when I would go forward with such thing? Is it as simple with New World/Intel types where I could theroetically take the HDD out from like Power Mac G3 to an Intel iMac and expect to run smoothly? Would I get the Sad Mac if this was done? Or would I have to do something more complex?

I got stuff such as old work and apps where I don't have backup disks (like the original versions of Photoshop and PageMaker, etc.) and I would love to get it on a Mac I can get to.

Thanks!

Posted on May 25, 2013 6:30 PM

11 replies

May 25, 2013 8:18 PM in response to stevena1

According the the MacTracker database, that model uses the IDE interface for the hard drive. That means you should be able to physically remove the drive and attach it to this gadget:

Newer Technology Universal Drive Adapter USB 3.0 - connects any 2.5", 3.5" or 5.25" drive

It attaches to a bare drive and provides power. The other end is USB so you can conenct the drive the any Mac with a USB port. The old drive shows up on the USB Mac as a mounted external drive. You can then offload data files.

May 25, 2013 10:53 PM in response to stevena1

It appears that you'd like to find a compatible Mac of that vintage, into which you'd install your PowerBook 190's internal hard drive for the purpose of running old programs, accessing their files, etc. As Allan pointed out, the internal hard drive is an IDE drive, not SCSI. This limits the potential older models that could use the drive. Additionally, the hard drive has the 2.5" form factor used in laptops, which has a different connection interface than the 3.5" IDE hard drives used in other desktop Macs of that vintage with comparable specs (like a Performa 636CD). There are adapters to install a 2.5" hard drive in place of a 3.5" drive, but whether this type of generic adapter would fit in the replacement Mac of your choice is questionable. Obviously, finding another PowerBook 190 (using the same 68K OS build) would be the easiest solution, but if you found one, it's anyone's guess as to how much remaining service life it would have at this point. The adapter that Allan linked would enable you to transfer your files from the drive to a newer Mac via USB, and because it's not platform-specific, you're not limited to buying one from a Mac-centric store. Check out any PC/electronics stores in your area. I bought one like this for $15 and it works on my Macs and PCs.

May 26, 2013 5:26 AM in response to Jeff

Thanks but this isn't answering my direct question. I suppose I was too theroretical.

My only question/goal was to take the phyiscal drive and move it to another native Mac (circa early 1990s). I will not even try to go 21st century and see if this HDD will even pick up on my MacBook. It's too old/new to even dare to do so. Like I said before, I didn't want to add another 5300-type PB in my collection as those Macs were recalled because some models simply would explode in fire.

Next time, I'll use the desktop version of Mactracker, as the iPhone app withheld the HD stats - sometimes there ISN'T an app for that...

Thanks anyways

May 26, 2013 7:09 AM in response to stevena1

Next time, I'll use the desktop version of Mactracker, as the iPhone app withheld the HD stats - sometimes there ISN'T an app for that...

😁

Indeed!

It took me a little longer to find the HD interface with the current MacTracker design. It now hides near the bottom of the "Connections and Expansion" tab:

User uploaded file

I think it used to be on the opening tab.

A 6200 was our first Mac to have an IDE/ATA hard drive. Quite a surprise to find out as I recall. We still have all the Macs we ever bought--except the 6200. There wasn't much joy there but then neither did it catch fire, give the cat a case of the clap, nor practice mind-melding with our children. I parted it out and recycled the case parts. It is one of the models that achieved LowEndMac's highest "Road Apples" award.

All Beige G3s have the ATA interface on the logic bord even if the cabling is not there. It uses standard cabling. They started with OS8.1 as I recall. The mini-tower version is easiest to get into.

May 26, 2013 10:07 AM in response to stevena1

"Thanks but this isn't answering my direct question... My only question/goal was to take the physical drive and move it to another native Mac (circa early 1990s)."

I understood your question and your intended goal when I replied: "It appears that you'd like to find a compatible Mac of that vintage, into which you'd install your PowerBook 190's internal hard drive for the purpose of running old programs, accessing their files, etc... Additionally, the hard drive has the 2.5" form factor used in laptops, which has a different connection interface than the 3.5" IDE hard drives used in other desktop Macs of that vintage with comparable specs... Obviously, finding another PowerBook 190 (using the same 68K OS build) would be the easiest solution..."

As I described, you have both hardware and software issues to contend with, when selecting a compatible, replacement (older) Mac computer. Your PowerBook's 2.5" laptop drive has a 68K (processor-based) Mac OS build, so it can't be installed in a slightly newer Power Mac and boot the computer. If it could be added internally in a Mac of that vintage, it will have to be in a single-drive Mac - and very likely - another PowerBook. Any Mac having the physical space for a second IDE hard drive would be newer and PowerPC processor-based, which your OS build can't boot. You need a 68K Mac that uses an IDE hard drive. If it's a desktop model, it must be able to accommodate the adapter to convert the 2.5" drive to the 3.5" drive interface and drive bay. The adapter that Allan and I mentioned would be used as a last resort, if you can't find a compatible older Mac and would like to copy your files from it, before the drive stops functioning.

May 26, 2013 12:34 PM in response to Jeff

Again, I wasn't clear. The Power Mac reference was methaphoric comparision not a litteral, since you mentioned PowerPC and must not understood a random/modern comparision of the Power PC Mac to an Intel iMac. I'll refrain from using historic comparisions to an already historic subject going forward...

I'll take these suggestions into consideration. Since I know it still boots up, I think its best I'll try to find another compatible PowerBook, hopefully soon I can find one on eBay. Though some are close to a price of a 2008 MacPro, which is on the top of my purchasing priorities.

May 26, 2013 12:43 PM in response to Allan Jones

Wheres the Chimes of Death on the iOS version, hehe! I have my trusty Mac version and its my primary source! 😀

I mentioned about a to see if an LC can take it is because the PowerBook 5300 series had a flaw in the power supply/battery. There were many cases circa in 1995 where there were many reports of explosions and these specific PBs catching on fire. Apple had a masssive recall, and I've read books on the company and their PR department was very busy defusing the problem something of those lines. The 5300 was a PPC Mac, but 190 series was a 68K (the one I own and trying to salvage) shared the same chassis and I believe (but not fully sure) that these had shared the same problem. I had this Mac used and was given as a birthday present and the power supply was third party and the battery was third party too.

Like many users here own a Mac because of memories, the first ever computer I used was one of the LC, and knowing it shared the same 68K code, I'd thought it would theroetically work. I think I'll look at another PB that meets the current specifications that the 190cs has.

May 26, 2013 1:00 PM in response to Allan Jones

I need clarification (not fully geeky in the HD department) how can I tell what is a SCSI drive and an IDE drive? The planned system I was looking at converting (the LC II) appears to have a ribbon cable but yet it uses a SCSI interface.

I've always assoicated SCSIs by the short and long connector 50pin/thick cable and IDE/ATA drive with a ribbon. I have x86 servers that have that former type of connector, but I have known some that use a ribbon type that claims to be an SCSI.

How can I tell them apart? Better yet, what makes a SCSI HD a SCSI?

May 26, 2013 7:18 PM in response to stevena1

Not sure what makes a SCSI a SCSI, but the IDE interface is 40-pin. The original SCSI was 50-pin but later and faster ("Ultra-SCSI or wide SCSI) manifestations had 68-pins. I also recall there was an 80-pin version late in the SCSI's life.

This Wikipedia article has the SCSI specs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCSI

This diagram shows the location of the SCSI and IDE/ATA interfaces on a Beige G3 logic board:

http://macgurus.com/products/motherboards/mbppcg3mini.php

in the upper right corner. One is SCSI and two are ATA.

Rev B and Rev C Beige G3 logic boards supported master/slave config under Mac S9 and earlier.

The Beige G3 is probably the best choice because of the dual HD interface, floppy drive, built-in graphics, and PCI slots to accomodate a USB PCI adapter card for using modern input devices.

The LB SCSI interface on the Beige is 50-pin. Some late models were fitted with fast Ultra-SCSI drives and, instead of using the LB's 40-pin interface, used a PCI SCSI controller card to drive the U-SCSI at its rated speed.

May 27, 2013 10:07 AM in response to stevena1

The Macintosh LC II has a SCSI hard disk.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP206

If necessary, with the proper cable(s), it should be possible to gain access to the PowerBook's hard disk via SCSI disk mode (see pp 55-59 in the manual below). A desktop Mac with a SCSI port would be needed. This ought to work even if the PowerBook's display is not OK. A PRAM reset should set the PowerBook Setup control panel to ID 2 (but the ID really does not matter if the PB 190cs is the only external SCSI device connected to a desktop Mac).

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/0306899APWRBK190UG.pdf

Jan

May 27, 2013 11:21 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

The PRAM battery has been dead for quite a while and the last time I booted it up there was a beep prior to the Finder loading that typically tells me to reset the time. Typically I believe that means anything stored in the PRAM would disappear if I pulled the plug.

I haven't used any form of external SCSIs litte if at all when I was using this, if I am reading this right, it should work.

Thanks to all who have helped me, and when the time comes when I can do this and it doesn't work, I'll ask again!

Export physical HD to another Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.