Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine and MacFamilyTree problem

I deleted an item in my MacFamilyTree and when I restore an old update of it to get the info, the restored version includes the latest modified info.

Why can I not get the old version without the new modification?

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 26, 2013 8:13 AM

21 replies

May 26, 2013 4:29 PM in response to RoydenfromMB

Are you sure the restore worked? If there was a problem, the restore may have failed, so the current file/folder is still there. If it failed, a message should have appeared on the screen, but sometimes they're easy to miss.

You might also try restoring it to an alternate location, such as your Desktop, per Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #16. Then open that version to see what you actually got.

May 26, 2013 5:32 PM in response to Pondini

Pondini, I tried restoring to a different location on my Finder and that did not work. It was showing as a restore from February 2013, last change May 24, 2013, same thing happening.

Nevere say any message that there was a proble restoring, it seemed to restore easily with one click, or by restoring to a different location.

Can't undeerstand why it would contain a more recent change.

May 26, 2013 8:01 PM in response to RoydenfromMB

Aha! 🙂 That's the application, not the data.

• The application is the programming, windows, etc., that you installed and use.

• The data that you made with the app is kept separately. That's what you need to restore.

I don't use that app, so can't tell you exactly where the data is, but there's a file, or a folder containing various files, probably somewhere in your Home Folder. The Documents folder is most likely. It will probably have Mac Family Tree or something similar in the name.

May 27, 2013 6:27 AM in response to RoydenfromMB

If there's much, you might see if there's any info on the app's website, or perhaps a forum, that can tell you where it is.

Or, open a Finder window to your Documents folder, put it in List mode, get the Modified date in a column, then start the app and make a very minor change, and look for a current Modified date.

If you don't know how to do that, on a Finder window's menubar, select View > As List. You can then show the files inside any folders there by clicking the little "disclosure" triangles in front of the folder icon.

To get a new column, select View > Show View Options, and select the column(s) you want. You can then move them around on the Finder window by dragging the titles.

May 27, 2013 6:51 AM in response to Pondini

I have my finder windows set for List and Modified date but have seen no changes.

When I restored the app, then trashed it, a window came up saying it found 4 other files, including the date file in a folder called com.synium..... and it showed as being in the documents folder. I went back into TM opened the same date, checked the documents file and could not find it.

Will go into Synium site and see if I can get info from them.

Thanks

Time Machine and MacFamilyTree problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.