Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open links and go to Google and Wikipedia

After I've been logged on to my Mac for a while, maybe 30-60 minutes, I can't open any links from any website and programs like Skype. It doesn't say "error" or "couldn't connect..." or anything, it's just a white page. And for some reason I can't go to Google or Wikipedia, which is weird. I'm using Safari but i have also tried Firefox and I've tried it on my guest account, but it's still the same. The only way to solve it is to restart the computer. I can access Google via the search bar, but the links doesn't work. For example: I tried to open the Apple article on Wikipedia from Google. This is the url that loads: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CF8QFjAJ&ur l=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FApple_Inc.&ei=ESKiUZeFNYjBPP3jgJAL&usg= AFQjCNE0AxysxuP7bGhOrqFsVPjF-GfeTA&sig2=NUskKCDyWoU-PgeArov7ZA&bvm=bv.47008514,d .ZWU and the page is white. As you can see Wikipedia doesn't start to load.

Does anybode else have this problem? I have googled, but I couldn't find any answers.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 26, 2013 7:58 AM

16 replies

May 26, 2013 8:33 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I tried my wi-fi instead of ethernet, but that didn't work at all. It was connected but I hadn't any internet. So I restarted the computer to see if that fixed it, but i shouldn't have done that now, because now I can open links and such, so I don't know if your advices helps. But for your information the wi-fi didn't work. And I'll be back when the problems comes back.

May 28, 2013 2:25 AM in response to rkaufmann87

But to get in safe mode I have to restart the computer and when I do that the problem gets solved, so I can't really test it. The problem can occur anytime, sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not. So to wait for it in safe mode is not something I wanna do. I will soon move back to my family, so we'll se if the problem is the internet or the computer, but for now I will fix it by pulling the internetcable.

May 28, 2013 4:23 AM in response to Foodeater

Ignore that. Safe mode will give you different results that you cannot bring across. The problem seems to be that your DNS resolution is borked, this is what translates web adresses (www.webaddress.com) into IP adresses (195.234.65.23). Open terminal on your normal Mac install (non-safe mode) and type this:

sudo dscacheutil -flushcache

Then try again. If that does not fix it, then:

Go to Applications > Utilities > Network Utility.

Click on the Ping tab and type www.google.com in the host box.

The first line will look something like this:

ping google.com
PING google.com (192.0.32.10): 56 data bytes

you should then get 6 lines like this trying to contact google:

64 bytes from 192.0.32.10: icmp_seq=0 ttl=240 time=98.767 ms
64 bytes from 192.0.32.10: icmp_seq=1 ttl=240 time=96.521 ms
64 bytes from 192.0.32.10: icmp_seq=2 ttl=240 time=95.766 ms
64 bytes from 192.0.32.10: icmp_seq=3 ttl=240 time=95.638 ms
64 bytes from 192.0.32.10: icmp_seq=4 ttl=240 time=95.414 ms
64 bytes from 192.0.32.10: icmp_seq=5 ttl=240 time=93.367 ms

Press CTRL+C if they carry on past 6 lines then you should get this:

6 packets transmitted, 6 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 93.367/95.912/98.767/1.599 ms

The numbers do no matter except for the packet loss one. just above. If that is 100% then your ISP is to blame. If not and you still can't get on google, post that output here and I will tell you what the problem is.

May 28, 2013 4:20 AM in response to rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87 wrote:

If you have internet cable there must be a modem somewhere, that's just how cable internet works. Did you Reset Safari as instructed and restart in Safe Mode?

In an educational facility like that one, the router will be a £15,000-£50,000 box in the basement connecting several hundred users, I don't think he is going to be allowed to reset the whole complexes internet and if it was a router or modem problem with connecting to Google, I think someone might have noticed.

May 28, 2013 6:21 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Erm, excuse me, but how does flushing your cache, something that your mac does itself on a monthly basis 'bork the system?'

Unless you're trying to tell me that pinging Google is dangerous, which would be hilariously wrong for someone that has so many points.

He's much better off trying this and if that does not work using a Public DNS server, which is the advice I would ahve gave him to start with but he is on a educational network and that often blocks DNS servers (so tehy can enforce restrictions on surfing **** etc). That can be done inside network settings very simply without needing your 'app'.

May 28, 2013 7:03 AM in response to gen_

It was the way you're going about it, using the sudo command in Terminal isn't recommended unless you are extremely confident using Terminal. I thought using Terminal to achieve something as simple as clearing caches and resetting the DNS simply was uneccessay, the same can be achieved from the GUI and be much safer for the typical Mac user.

In short I wasn't disagreeing with your solution, it just wasn't elegant in that its more complex than using the GUI.

Can't open links and go to Google and Wikipedia

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.