Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

give text a background in Preview

What I'd like to do:

ON AN IMAGE, NOT PDF!

I'd like to annotate some text onto the image, then give the area with the text a background color so it stands out against the background of the image.

Is it possible?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 26, 2013 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2013 10:31 AM

trebber,

Move the image to the desktop, double click to open the image (it open in preview) from the menubar click tools then annotate, add text, click the image and make a rectangle and type your text. After typing in the menubar select inspector, from the dropdown select bordered, you can then click on fill color and select a color from the from the crayon box. Note that the entire rectangle will be filled , so you want to size that beforehand.

Hope this helps.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2013 10:31 AM in response to trebber

trebber,

Move the image to the desktop, double click to open the image (it open in preview) from the menubar click tools then annotate, add text, click the image and make a rectangle and type your text. After typing in the menubar select inspector, from the dropdown select bordered, you can then click on fill color and select a color from the from the crayon box. Note that the entire rectangle will be filled , so you want to size that beforehand.

Hope this helps.

May 26, 2013 11:54 AM in response to sanjampet

Okay. Here's what I do:

Open an image with Preview

Tools>Annotate>Add Text

Select a rectangular area, type some text

The Inspector window has 4 tabs, the furthest one right shows a little pencil, I select that tab. In that window, at the bottom, I see Text Style, that's where I find "Bordered" and I select that, and then, and ONLY then, I get an option to fill with color.

Thanks for the help. I knew it was something easy.

Mar 20, 2014 7:20 AM in response to trebber

The procedures given by sanjampet didn't work for me running Preview under 10.9.2. Here's how I was able to get colored text on a white rectangle background on an image:

1. Open the image in Preview

2. If not already visible, from the View menu select "Show Edit Toolbar".

3. In the Edit toolbar, click on the rectangle icon next to the Instant Alpha wand icon.

4. In the Edit toolbar, click on the Fill Color rectangle with the thin diagonal line across it, next to the Shape Attributes (line thickness) icon on the right.

5. Select the fill color for the shape, in this case white.

6. On the image, click and drag to create the rectangle filled with white.

7. From Preview's Tools menu select Annotate > Text.

8. Drag the text rectangle somewhere else on the image, it can't be created on top of the color-filled rectangle.

9. Enter the text and click out of the text rectangle.

10. Drag the text onto the color-filled rectangle to finish the process.

NOTE - I was unable to drag the color-filled rectangle over positioned text and somehow "send to back/backwards" as in some graphics programs, so the only method that works is to correctly place the color-filled rectangle first, then select and drag the text onto it.

Mar 24, 2014 5:18 AM in response to David Luckhardt

Unfortunately this doesn't work in Snow Leopard - everything you've said is possible apart from 'Fill' which isn't a feature of Preview in 10.6.

However, with a bit of patience, it might be still be possible for the OP. Do this:

Follow instruction 1 above then

1. In View, click 'Show Annotations Toolbar' which will appear below the image.
  2. Click the line thickness tool and choose the widest line possible.
  3. In the colour menu, click Other Colors and click in the centre of the colour circle for white
  4. Click the rectangle tool, and on the image draw a box to the WIDTH you need. Then collapse it so the bottom adjoins the top, giving you a white strip.
  5. Repeat 4 as many times as necessary, moving each strip to adjoin the previous, until you have a rectangle as deep as you need. (If your positioning technique isn't perfect when you draw each strip, you could align the start of each strip, then finish with a vertical strip at the end, to hide the Lego-like offsets!)

Then follow instructions 7 - 10 above

give text a background in Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.