Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

well why the **** wouldnt you allow GPS in airplane mode?

Youd think with GPS being a pure receiver function, you could choose to enable it without any sim function.

After all, you can enable bluetooth and wifi, after activating airplane mode.

Applications: GPS whilst saving battery (in location where there is no recepion anyway)!

Skiing: phone interferes with avalnache safety gear, but GPS would be nice.

I suppose GPS is somehow tied to location services which are somehow tied to SIM - so it wouldn't occur to the wanky applie marketing philosphy that I may want GPS without carrier services and I will need to by a Garmin for my GPS needs.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 26, 2013 2:53 PM

11 replies

May 26, 2013 2:59 PM in response to itunesisnasty

GPS is tied to location services, and unless you are using a GPS app with maps data stored locally on the iPhone, an internet connection is required to download and access maps data. GPS reception without maps data and location services is worthless.

You can enable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth after activating Airplane Mode primarily for use on an airplane - an airplane with wi-fi access available that requires all other radios and receivers being off during flight.

May 26, 2013 3:48 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Yes, I have maps storred locally on my iPhone.

... and so do many others from the comments I read in other forums. So many people just want to use the GPS with the phone functions turnes off - I can't believe there aren't any sensible solutions.

So you can pull out your SIM card - which happens to be a pain becasue my phone is in a housing.

... and you can turn the phone off, restart it and not enter the phone pin - which is doable but a bit of a hack.

Why isn't there an option to disable the phone function or just lock all sim functions?

I can't even find an app with this function.

For me, this is a typical case of apple deciding on how people are conformed by technology and not the other way around.

An aeroplane with wi-fi access? - isn't this all in GHz? Might as well just leave the phone on.

As I mentioned - 1. battery saving! Esp. in areas with no network service. (where I am not intersted in Siri giving me a recipie for wild mushrooms or telling me what time my appointment wit uncle bob is either)

2. Using JUST GPS which is a RECEIVER function in cases where other transmitting functions such as WiFi or the phone funtion are not appropriate.

To the apple marketing wankers: as well as the iPhone 5 being so awesomely designed to fit the size of my hand, I would like to be able to disable phone services without carrying around paperclip.

May 26, 2013 3:57 PM in response to itunesisnasty

An aeroplane with wi-fi access? - isn't this all in GHz? Might as well just leave the phone on.

Yes, what rock have you been living under? Many airplanes have wi-fi access now especially for longer flights which requires enabling Airplane Mode with a cell phone to turn off all other radios/receivers followed by turning wi-fi access on. You need to take up not being concerned about leaving a cell phone on during flight with the FAA.

Why isn't there an option to disable the phone function or just lock all sim functions?

I can't even find an app with this function.

There is, it is called Airplane Mode.

There aren't any 3rd party apps for this since 3rd party apps don't have access to private iPhone APIs for security and other important reasons. There probably is for an Android device which is the Windows of the mobile OS environment in regards to security or severe lack thereof.

If there is another device available that meets your needs, get that device instead.

May 26, 2013 4:18 PM in response to itunesisnasty

1. there is clearly a use for enabling GPS whilst phone functions are disabled,

Not by everyone.

2. Apple don't currently provide any solution, and

Apple doesn't, correct.

3. Apple won't let anyone else provide that solution.

3rd party apps don't have access to private iPhone APIs for security or other important reasons which such a 3rd party app would require.

Since this is a must have for you, that should be your first consideration when purchasing a device - devices that include the option should be the only devices considered. Purchase a device that meets your most important needs/wants.

May 26, 2013 4:42 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Purchase a device that meets your most important needs/wants.

No arguments there, and I won't bore you with how I actually got to iPhone, but I do find it surprising that a piece of hardware with so much potential, armed with a full blown unix operating system can lack this sort of configuratbility. I mean, it MUST be possible.

Whereas the battery saving functions of turning the SIM off would be 'nice to have', having the phone near an avalanche beacon is a safety issue and makes the GPS function of the iPhone effectively useless for ski touring. So for lack of an extra slider, I may need an additional GPS from another brand.

Obiously apple aren't going to have a "ski touring" mode on their phone, but a little more configurability would allow users to satisfy their individual needs.

May 26, 2013 4:50 PM in response to itunesisnasty

The iPhone does not run a "full blown unix operating system", and having an iPhone near an avalanche beacon is probably not within the environmental requirement parameters for the iPhone to begin with.

I would prefer Apple spending their time and resources improving or adding features that would apply to the majority and not a select few or very small percentage.

Oct 9, 2014 10:54 PM in response to Allan Sampson

The requirement to use GPS in airplane mode is by no means limited to a "select few or very small percentage" of users. Anyone who uses their iPhone as a hiking, biking, or trail riding GPS in areas outside of cell tower range experiences a severe battery drain related to the phone trying to "ping" for cell towers which rapidly flattens the battery. This effectively makes the iPhone an impotent GPS compared to Android and Windows Phone devices, both of which allow the GPS receiver circuitry to continue to operate in airplane mode. The only work-around for iPhone users is to pop out their SIM card, which is fiddly and risky.

well why the **** wouldnt you allow GPS in airplane mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.