Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems using Devanagari-Qwerty keyboard in Mountain Lion

I have all the discussions about Devanagari-Qwerty and have looked at and used all the websites that give instructions. But most do not apply to a Mac using 10.8.3. Nor do I get any answers from the people at Apple-Care when I phone them. My current questions are the following:

1. What is the exact default font that is attached to the Devanagari-Qwerty keyboard in Mountain Lion? It is definitely NOT Devanagari Sangam MN, and it is NOT Devanagari MT. I cannot even use Devanagari MT in Mountain Lion on any of my programs, such as Microsoft Word or Adobe InDesign.

2. I have spent the last few hours trying to figure out how to type one of the Sanskrit vowels that transliterates as "kree" or "kreem: ऋ़ं According to all the instructions I have read, theoretically this should work by typing option+r, shift+f, shift+m. But this does not work In Microsoft Word or InDesign, it just types a halant after the "kr"

3. I cannot figure out how to turn on or use any advanced typography characters in any Sanskrit font with Mountain Lion. The instructions I have read do not apply to Mountain Lion.

I have been wasting many hours! Please help me!

Posted on May 26, 2013 5:28 PM

18 replies

May 26, 2013 5:53 PM in response to divinerev

Please ignore previous question above. I hit "save" before finishing editing the question.

I have read all the discussions about Devanagari-Qwerty and have looked at and used all the websites that give instructions. But many do not apply to a Mac using 10.8.3. Nor do I get any answers from the people at Apple-Care when I phone them. My current questions are the following:

1. What is the exact default font that is attached to the Devanagari-Qwerty keyboard in Mountain Lion? It appears not to be Devanagari Sangam MN, and it is definitely NOT Devanagari MT. I cannot even use Devanagari MT in Mountain Lion on any of my programs, such as Microsoft Word or Adobe InDesign. Strangely, in Microsoft Word, it appears to default to Sanskrit 2003, which makes no sense.

2. I have spent the last few hours trying to figure out how to use Devanagari QWERTY to type one of the Sanskrit vowels that transliterates as "kree" or "kreem: ऋ़ं According to the instructions I have read, theoretically this should work by typing option+r, shift+f, shift+m. This works okay in Text Edit or on this discussion board. But it does not work In Microsoft Word or InDesign. It just types a nukta after the "kr"

3. I cannot figure out how to turn on or use any advanced typography characters with Microsoft Word or with Font Book in any Sanskrit font with Mountain Lion. The instructions I have read do not apply to Mountain Lion.

I have been wasting many hours! Please help me!

May 27, 2013 3:29 AM in response to divinerev

divinerev wrote:

I have been wasting many hours!

Indeed you have. MS Word for Mac has never supported Indic scripts, so you can't use it for this. If you look at its Help you will find that the Devanagari keyboard is not on the supported list.

Instead you need to use other apps: OpenOffice, Pages, TextEdit, Nisus Writer, etc. You should not have any problem using the font Devanagari MT with them. Devanagari Sangam has a bug

http://m10lmac.blogspot.com/2013/05/bug-in-apple-devanagari-font.html

Let me know if you have problems with these apps which do support Indic.

InDesign also has problems and I think it does not support Indic scripts unless you add ScribeDoor to it:

http://store.winsoft-international.com/products/product/winsoft/scribedoor/scrib edoor-for-indesign.html

May 27, 2013 12:14 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Dear Tom,

Thank you so much for responding to my questions. I have more questions:

1. InDesign says it does support Indic scripts:

http://blogs.adobe.com/vikrant/2012/05/indesign-cs6-indic-support-and-preference s/

I have followed their instructions and have turned on that script in their program. Yet I still have problems.

2. What is the default font that is connected to the Devanagari Qwerty and Devanagari language keyboards on Mountain Lion? Or is it different for each program? MSW appears to default to "Sanskrit 2003." Text Edit appears to default to "Devanagari Sangam MN." InDesign appears to default to "Adobe Devanagari." Yet I cannot actually choose any of these fonts and use them in MSW or InDesign. In other words, on the font list, they do not display any Sanskrit characters. Instead, they become English letters when I select them from the list to type with. But if I use Devanagari Qwerty or Devanagari language preferences to type with, then they do show up as Sanskrit characters. I do have other Sanskirt fonts that do appear on the font list and that display properly. But none of these other fonts default when I use Devanagari Qwerty or Devanagari. This is very confusing.

3. I have never seen the gear wheel on any program except Text Edit. I wish I could find it, because I would like to turn on "additional conjuncts." I can go to Format > Fonts > Show Fonts with Microsoft Word, but I see no gear wheel. With InDesign, which supposedly does support Indic fonts, I don't know where to go in order to find the gear wheel. And I don't see any gear wheel on the Font Book program.

4. My publisher requires that I use Microsoft Word to deliver my manuscripts. They do not accept any other programs. I am trying to type Sanskrit letters easier by using Devanagari Qwerty and/or Devanagari keyboard on my Mac. Any solution for Microsoft Word? Whatever solution I use has to also be compatible with InDesign, because my publisher copies and pastes everything into InDesign to design the final pages.

Thank you!

May 27, 2013 12:50 PM in response to divinerev

Dear Tom,

Thank you, and here are more questions:

5. Devanagari MT did not even show up on the list of fonts on the top Font menu bar when I opened Microsoft Word. Then I went to Font Book and placed both Devanagari MT and Devanagari Sangam MN into my "Font Collections," and they are now on the Font Collections list in my list of Fonts in MSW, but when I follow the arrow to the right, no actual font appears in either case, and I cannot select them.

6. If I turn on "Additional Conjuncts" in Text Edit, does that only apply to Text Edit? Which program or programs should I turn them on in order to use them? I cannot find any gear wheel other than in Text Edit.

7. When I try to copy and paste Sanskrit characters from Text Edit into Microsoft Word, the Sanskrit formatting sometimes gets screwed up.

8. Do I always have to go to Font Book and add fonts to Font Collections first in order to use this gear wheel? I am trying to find out which is the actual default Devanagari and Devanagari QWERTY font for which I should turn on the Additional Conjuncts. Once I add the Additional Conjuncts, how can I use them? Is there a keyboard or instructions for them anywhere?

9. If I open Text Edit and choose Devanagari MT from the top menu bar, Sanskrit letters do not appear. English letters appear. I cannot even find Devanagari Sangam MN on the list of fonts in Text Edit. And if I choose another font called Devanagari in Text Edit, that types Engish letters also. The only way I can type Sanskrit characters in Text Edit is to turn on the Devanagari or Devanagari QWERTY language on the top Finder menu bar and then open Text Edit. Then after I start typing in Sanskrit, suddenly Devanagari Sangam MN appears on the top of the list of fonts on the top menu bar in Text Edit as the font that I am using.

Thank you!

May 27, 2013 1:00 PM in response to divinerev

According to MicroSoft, MS Word for Mac cannot do Devanagari (or any RTL script either), and I think it is a waste of your time to try to make it work. It cannot even recognize the required font, Devanagari MT, or any typographical features.

If your publisher requires Word format, then I recommend you use Word for Windows or use any Mac app that does support Devanagari and then export to Word format. OpenOffice is a free Word clone, so I would recommend you try that first. I am not sure it can do as much Sanskrit typography as Pages or TextEdit or Nisus Writer can, however.

The normal OS X default font for standard apps that do support Indic (Not MS or Adobe) should be Devanagari MT. The default for iOS is Devanagari Sangam.

Everyone today uses Unicode, where you have to use the Devangari keyboard layout to type. If by chance you get Devanagari output without having the Devanagari keyboard layout active, you are using an old font with an obsolete encoding. It would be best to deactivate or get rid of those, as they do not conform to the international standard and any text produced will not be readable on modern machines.

The gear wheel is available on all Apple programs and all other programs that use Apple's text services. FontBook is irrelevant to any of this. The gear wheel in only found on the Font Panel (Format > Fonts > Show Fonts). MS and Adobe stuff is almost always different. MS cannot do Indic or typography at all, and Adobe requires activation of its "World Ready Composer" plugin with its own special font.

I don't have InDesign and do not know whether it is actually capable of the Sanskrit typography you need. Indic support is relatively new for them. You will probably want to search/ask how to activate Sanskrit conjuncts with specific examples on the forums devoted to that product.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/indesign

May 27, 2013 1:19 PM in response to divinerev

5. MSW for Mac cannot do Devanagari, it cannot even recognize the required font, it cannot do typography.

6. All apps other than MS and Adobe should normally have the gear wheel. You open the typography pane separately for every app and for every font.

7. MSW for Mac cannot do Devanagari.

8. The gear wheel is in Format > Font > Show Fonts and has nothing to do with Fontbook. You cannot use it in MS and Adobe stuff.

9. All modern computers use Unicode. You cannot type Devanagari unless a Devanagari Keyboard is active. The font is changed automatically. Changing the font by itself, without changing the keyboard, does nothing. For the list of fonts in TextEdit, use Format > Fonts > Show Fonts instead of the font window. I don't know why it would switch fonts sometimes, you just have to switch it back.

10. MSW for Mac cannot do Devanagari:-)

May 27, 2013 1:51 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thank you for information about Unicode. I had thought there was something wrong with the fonts because they did not show up on the list of fonts, or the characters did not show up.

So MSW for Windows does use the Devanagari and Devanagari QWERTY language system correctly? That is interesting. I might try to run Windows with my Mac, if it becomes necessary. It will depend on whether my publisher will be able to read the Sanskrit characters on the MSW files that I send them.

So running a MacBook Pro with system 10.8.3, my default font for Devanagari keyboard is supposed to be Devanagari MT? It doesn't default to that on Text Edit. It defaults to Devanagari Sangam MN.

If I turn on "Additional Conjuncts" in Text Edit, does that only apply to Text Edit? Which program or programs should I turn them on in order to use them? Once I add the Additional Conjuncts, how can I use them? Is there a keyboard or instructions for them anywhere?

Thank you.

May 27, 2013 2:06 PM in response to divinerev

You might want to disable Devanagari Sangam, because it has at least one bug, and there may be others. You do this in FontBook > Edit > Disable. Also the typography pane for this font does not look quite right.

To be safe you should check the typography boxes whenever you change apps or start a new document. There is nothing to know about using it. You always type things the same way, but the result may differ depending on whether the box is checked or unchecked. If you do not get what you want with either option, the only remedy is to try another font.

May 28, 2013 1:16 AM in response to divinerev

I tried what you suggested. I disabled Devanagari Sangam MN. However, after I disabled Devanagari Sangam MN, when I used Devanagari QWERTY to type in TextEdit, the letters no longer formatted properly (as they did before I disabled Devanagari Sangam MN), and the font defaulted to "Arial Unicode MS." However, when I highlighted the text and chose Devanagari MT from the font list, then the characters changed and formatted properly. Why would that be?

Then, when I copied and pasted the properly formatted Sanskrit into InDesign, all I got was a series of boxes. Then when I highlighted those boxes and chose Devanagari MT, the characters did not display properly. But when I selected Adobe Devanagari, the characters displayed properly.

This continues to be confusing. Any words of wisdom?

Thank you!

May 28, 2013 3:02 AM in response to divinerev

divinerev wrote:

Any words of wisdom?

Try setting TextEdit to the font you want before you start typing.

You should disable Arial Unicode. It is a WIndows font and such fonts cannot normally be used for Indic scripts on a Mac.

(I don't know why TextEdit would use that instead of Devanagari MT).

InDesign for Mac requires its own special font, Adobe Devanagari, to work right for Devanagari. Like MS Word, it cannot use the standard Mac font.

May 29, 2013 12:58 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

I did disable Arial Unicode, and now that I disabled Devanagari Sangam MN, TextEdit now defaults to Devanagari MT. Thank you for that suggestion.

I noticed that another person had the same problem on the board at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3548952?start=15&tstart=0

I also disabled Sanskrit 2003 upon your suggestion, and now when I type in MSW, all I get is boxes. But when I highlight those boxes and choose Adobe Devanagari, the Sanskrit then shows, but formatted improperly. But when I copy that badly formatted text in MSW and paste it to InDesign, it formats correctly again. So I will just make a note to my publisher that the weird-looking Sanskrit in MSW will display properly in InDesign.

Thank you for your help, though I am very disappointed with MSW. They need to get with it!

May 29, 2013 1:38 PM in response to divinerev

divinerev wrote:

So I will just make a note to my publisher that the weird-looking Sanskrit in MSW will display properly in InDesign.

If your publisher is using Word for Windows, it will presumably look OK. MS Word for Mac cannot display Devanagari correctly, but when you type it does produce the correct underlying Unicode data, so if you transfer this to other apps, even as just boxes, and use the right font, you should get a correct result.

As for why, after 12 years now, MSW for Mac still the only app in the universe which cannot do Indic (or Arabic), some think this is because they want to minimize any incentive for users in Arabia, Persia, and India to switch to Mac's.

Aug 20, 2013 6:50 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

I have been trying for quite some time to produce the construct fn (as in Nepali "afno") using Devanagari MT in Text Edit, but have been unable to do so. Using the Devanagari-QWERTY keyboard layout, I type shift+p (फ), f, then n (न) - but it produces an incorrect version of the construct. However, when I try the same method using Sanskrit 2003 instead of Devanagari MT the letter is produced correctly. Is this simply a bug with Devanagari MT?

Problems using Devanagari-Qwerty keyboard in Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.