Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i remove all my past terminal commands?

to anyone who knows experienced with terminal and knows it well. i am new to terminal, and to find an easy fix for a problem i had with java 7 incompatability issues i turned to the internet. i found a fix which was to input a command in terminal to change my java preferences to be set as java 6. it worked fine but now a few weeks later i keep getting bugs from java 6 and ironically have found a fixed version of the java 7 problem i had before so i want to change it back from the command, but the problem is because im new to terminal i have no idea how... i have heard that you can delete your entire input history? if there is anything along the lines of this to wipe or undo previous commands it would be a great help for me

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 26, 2013 3:57 PM

10 replies

May 26, 2013 4:04 PM in response to samcbride14

When you enter commands in Terminal, it remembers the past commands so one doesn't have to enter them again.

So by pressing the arrow keys one can scroll through past commands.

What your looking for is the command to undo what you did previously, which wouldn't be remembered as you haven't entered it yet.

You can reset OS X by reinstalling it over itself, this will remove Java and you can reinstall Java 7.

See #8 here

..Step by Step to fix your Mac

May 27, 2013 4:10 AM in response to samcbride14

if i try to open the game it will bring up the terminal bash login

Downloads (my name)$ export JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home

(my name)-iMac:Downloads sammcbride$ java -jar technic-launcher-latest.jar

Unable to access jarfile technic-launcher-latest.jar

(my name)-iMac:Downloads (my name)$

like i said im new to terminal so im not sure what this means

May 27, 2013 5:29 AM in response to samcbride14

Can you try opening that game by selecting it (only clicking once on it) and then right-clicking>Open with? Right now, it's set to open/execute with Terminal.

Also, what do you get if you enter java -version in a new Terminal window, or after a new prompt?

And what did you do in Terminal to get the Java 6 working? Maybe a link to the site where you found those instructions. Did you do this with Technic Platform?

Message was edited by: WZZZ

May 27, 2013 3:56 PM in response to WZZZ

like you said i tried clicking then to open with but there is no such option, other than open, and opening always results in a terminal window pop up.

i think the only thing which will work is to try a command to re enable java 7.

the other problem is im not sure exactly which website i found the original command on, seeing as i tried so many different things to fix the original problem

thanks for the help anyway so far, hope i will fix it eventually

how can i remove all my past terminal commands?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.