Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to connect an old external hard drive to time capsule

I was under the impression that my previous hard drive would not connect to my new iMac and I needed the time capsule to connect it. I just added everything and nothing is happeening. Icannot find anything from my previous drive. Any tips?

Time Capsule-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on May 26, 2013 3:39 PM

7 replies

May 26, 2013 3:43 PM in response to S Walters

Plug the old hard disk directly into the Mac, USB port.. it should work fine and will have more chance of working than via the TC.. for the TC even a powered drive can fail. You often need a powered hub.

You need to give us more info if the above doesn't work.

Previous hard drive.. being what??

How was it used? What size/brand/type?

USB? Any other connectors?

Formatted???

May 26, 2013 4:54 PM in response to S Walters

What OS was the computer running that stored stuff on the disk?

If it doesn't show up in either the Mac or the TC.. I suspect the disk.. it should at least show in disk utility.. even if it is just to format it.

Mountain Lion can have issues with USB disks.. what happens if you plug this disk into a standard PC computer.. or even better a computer running linux (you can boot a PC using a linux live cd to get a linux OS).

Is it usb only.. does it have any other way in?

May 26, 2013 5:13 PM in response to LaPastenague

no we were using the seagate hd for our pc. Our pc crashed last month and we replaced it with the imac 0s 10.7. I cannot format the ex hd until I have retrieved the information off of it. Do you think that once it is formatted that it would be compatable?

When I plugged it into the imac the imac froze and wouldn't work(although I could see it create an ico on the desktop for me to click, it just wouldn't click it because it froze). I had to completely shut it down and start over.

yes it is USB only

May 26, 2013 6:56 PM in response to S Walters

Plug it into a PC then and recover the files from a PC. You can transfer files PC to Mac without using a TC.. but having the TC should make it easier.

The hard disk is probably formatted NTFS which the TC cannot see at all.. although the Mac should be able to mount it. Is it unpowered type.. ie gets power from USB.. if so use a power supply with it and it might work.

Once you get the files out of the hard disk you should format the disk on the Mac, but perhaps do it first as FAT32 on the PC.

I am also wondering if the hard disk is faulty??

May 26, 2013 7:38 PM in response to LaPastenague

I'm currently without a second computer, so for now, the only thing I can come up with is transfer certain files that are needed to a cloud storage system, like drop box or something similar. And in the meantime get my other computer fixed.

The stagnate ex hd is powered with a plug. So I'm thinking it is already the way you are talking about.

I will def format it once I can.

And I am not sure if the ex hd is working properly, since my other computer shut down about 3 weeks ago and I cannot figure that one out at all:(.

Only time will tell..... Thanks so much for all the tips. If anything else comes to mind please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

May 26, 2013 11:39 PM in response to S Walters

You must surely have a friend with a PC laptop who can help you at least plug the drive in and detect if it is working properly.

Or buy a cheap as anything ex business computer from ebay.. I used to get whatever was around $100.. should be dual core Intel and maybe vista. Horrible.. but it will give you a suitable computer to recover your stuff.

And buy a powered hub to protect whatever you plug into the computer if there is something wrong with the USB.. they are cheap and can be thrown away.

I am trying to connect an old external hard drive to time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.