Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does it matter if I use Wi-Fi or Ethernet?

My iMac is right next to the modem for my internet connection. It has Wi-Fi and an Ethernet so I plug it in. Is there any benefit, improvement in speed or otherwise to plugging it in with the cable?

Thx!

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on May 26, 2013 6:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2013 6:35 PM

If a wired connection is available and convenient, as it can be with a desktop Mac, use it. Doing so will avoid all the potential problems with wireless networking.

Leave Wi-Fi enabled if your hardware is capable of AirDrop and you need it.

To give precedence to Ethernet, open System Preferences > Network, click the "gear" icon and select Set Service Order... Drag Ethernet anywhere above Wi-Fi, click OK and then Apply.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2013 6:35 PM in response to knarfrh60

If a wired connection is available and convenient, as it can be with a desktop Mac, use it. Doing so will avoid all the potential problems with wireless networking.

Leave Wi-Fi enabled if your hardware is capable of AirDrop and you need it.

To give precedence to Ethernet, open System Preferences > Network, click the "gear" icon and select Set Service Order... Drag Ethernet anywhere above Wi-Fi, click OK and then Apply.

Does it matter if I use Wi-Fi or Ethernet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.