Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to get rid of false app store software update requests?

I was asked to update twitter app to 2.2.1 when I never installed this app to start with. When click update, an unknown apple ID appears under ID box. when type in my ID and PW, an error msg pop up.

Background Info: I purchased this iMAC last year around July from bestbuy. I'm the sole owner and user of this computer. I really dont understand how this twitter app update request got into my system. It really bothers me because it feel like there's a ghost in my computer. Please contribute if you have ANY idea of how to fix this. It's not a major or serious problem like others, but its existence itself is very annoy and disturbing. I also did spotlight search for twitter, nothing come back except twitter webpage, indicating that i dont have twiiter app in my system. This also makes me think that it is not a problem of my computer. The apple app store might have messed up information that causes this glitch.

I went to apple store with this problem. Showed them screen shots of my problem without bringing in the computer ( too heavy). The tech suggested to delete files from the updates folder under Library. then reboot. I tried but with no success.

What should I do now????

-- SUPER FRUSTRATED IMAC USER, GRATEFUL TO ANYONE WHO GIVE CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACKS.

P.S. mighty genius bar geniuses please look into this!!!!

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 26, 2013 10:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2013 10:06 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

Most of the times I have see a problem that the App Store shows an update for an app you haven't got, it's because you have a pirated app. If you have one, delete it and you will see that the update goes away.

If you have a look at the content of an app downloaded from the Mac App Store, you will see two folders: "_CodeSignature" and "_MASReceipt". Those folders contain information of the hacker's Apple ID, his/her updates at the moment he/she copied the folder to pirate the application and the apps he had installed. If you use that application in another computer, you will see the same updates as the hacker, and the problem is that you can't update it because you haven't downloaded it

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2013 10:06 PM in response to BubblyNYG

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

Most of the times I have see a problem that the App Store shows an update for an app you haven't got, it's because you have a pirated app. If you have one, delete it and you will see that the update goes away.

If you have a look at the content of an app downloaded from the Mac App Store, you will see two folders: "_CodeSignature" and "_MASReceipt". Those folders contain information of the hacker's Apple ID, his/her updates at the moment he/she copied the folder to pirate the application and the apps he had installed. If you use that application in another computer, you will see the same updates as the hacker, and the problem is that you can't update it because you haven't downloaded it

May 26, 2013 10:35 PM in response to mende1

Thanks Mendel for your kind reply. I had this iMAC since last year. I haven't had any problems nor installed anything new last 6 month. the only additon I made was skype a few days ago. Any idea why this update pop up now than earlier? The folders you talk about, is there a registry in the library I can look up? I have numerous apps in my computer from various sources, some friends, some internet, some purchased. Is there a way to found out which app is responsible?

May 26, 2013 10:38 PM in response to BubblyNYG

If you have downloaded an app for the App Store, you can see these folders. Open Finder, go to Applications folder, right-click an app downloaded from the App Store and select "Show Package Content". Then, open Contents folder and you will see them.

BubblyNYG wrote:

I have numerous apps in my computer from various sources, some friends, some internet, some purchased. Is there a way to found out which app is responsible?

Unfortunately, it's difficult. However, you can see which applications you got from the App Store. To do it, open the System Information app (in /Applications/Utilities). Then, choose "Applications" in the sidebar, and you will see all your apps

May 27, 2013 10:26 AM in response to BubblyNYG

You installed a hacked application, originally from the Mac App Store. It contains the receipt for a different application, downloaded from another account. You need to identify and remove the hacked application.

Triple click the line of text below:

kMDItemAppStoreHasReceipt=1

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C).

In the Finder, press the key combination command-F to open a search window, or select

File Find

from the menu bar. In the search window, select

Search: This Mac

from the row of tokens below the toolbar. Below that is a popup menu initially showing Kind. From that menu, select Other...

A sheet will drop down. In that sheet, select Raw Query and click OK or press return.

Now there will be a text box to the right of popup menu. Click in that box and paste (command-V).

The search window will show all the App Store products you've installed. Compare those search results with the list of your purchases from the App Store. To see the complete list, you may need to unhide hidden purchases. If any applications were download from the App Store using other Apple ID accounts that you know of, sign in to the store under each of those ID's and check the purchases.

If any of the items listed in the search window are not listed among your purchases in the App Store, move them to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator password. Empty the Trash.

Jul 11, 2015 6:27 PM in response to Linc Davis

Dear Linc—

thanks for the detailed instructions. When I follow them I see a list that has double entries for all items, but does not include the twitter app, which I have not installed, and does not appear in either the system or my Applications folders.

I have to suspect that the twitter thing susses computers that log on to the app store that do not have twitter on them, and prompts the users to put it on. Thing is, when I try to 'update' the app I am told the operation cannot be performed, presumably because there is no twitter app on my computer....

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Glen

how to get rid of false app store software update requests?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.