Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Making a synced folder from Mac to NAS

I would like to make my SSD to be synced to a DMG file (or just a folder) on my NAS, just as a backup.

In the mac I have an 128GB SSD (where I store my apps and the OSX) and an 750GB HDD for my /home.

I have an 500GB HDD in the NAS, and would like to make an up-to-date copy of my SSD.

Last night I did something wrong and my OSX became un-usable. I would like to avoid this again, cuz I had to reinstall all my apps and settings. Luckily I have my /home on the HDD and I got my libraries saved. So the main thing would be to make a folder or DMG with every day or weekly update of ALL the contents on my SSD, including the WHOLE SYSTEM. (I use 30-40GB of my 128GB so the copy time wont be a big problem if it could skip the files I already have.)

MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 27, 2013 5:20 AM

2 replies

May 27, 2013 5:28 AM in response to mazsi1911

I would suggest SuperDuper to clone your SSD. It can do incremental backups if you purchase it rather then use free copy. You can schedule the backups for when every you need them. You can also force a backup prior to doing something that might be dangerous.

Whatever you do be sure to test it to be sure that you can recover data from it prior to depending on it.

Allan

May 27, 2013 6:30 AM in response to mazsi1911

You can't boot from a NAS, however if you use cloning software to a external drive (SSD would be fastest) then you can hold the option/alt key and boot from it (wired/built in keyboard) thus giving you the option of simply reverse cloning your problems away. 🙂

However only Carbon Copy Cloner also clones the hidden Recovery HD partition which is essential for replacing a new copy of a upgraded OS X version from Apple's server.

Else with SuperDuper you may have to do the Internet Recovery (previous OS X version first) or even the 10.6 disk, then the upgrade route or maintain a OS x Recovery USB thumb drive someplace, if you need a fresh copy of OS X for some reason. This of course wrecks havoc with programs and files as they have to be erased and reinstalled along with the entire drive.

Most commonly used backup methods

Making a synced folder from Mac to NAS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.