Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PC won't connect to iMac Airport wireless network

I need to connect my work PC laptop to my home wirelss network based on my iMac. The PC sees the network (WEP password protected) but will not connect.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 27, 2013 4:52 AM

19 replies

May 27, 2013 5:34 AM in response to Fred L Johnson

If the pc is fairly new and has windows 7 on it you have to use better security then wep. from what I remember both newer version of os x and windows will not connect to a wep secured wifi signal. It must be wpa or wpa2. Wep is so insecure that both os x and windows as stopped supporting it, if I recall correctly.

Anyway you should have a router between the modem and your computers. If your cable modem is only a modem, and most of them are just a modem with no router function, then your mac is actually part of the internet and getting a wide area network, Internet, ip address. That in itself is a very insecure way of having a home or work computer connected to the net.

May 27, 2013 6:05 AM in response to LowLuster

Second that!

WEP WIFI encryption and direct connection of your iMac to cable modem is as insecure as it gets!!

WEP is a protocoll which is hackable and by connecting you iMac direct to a cable modem you give the whole internet direct access to you iMac.

If you want more help please give us a little more of your configuration.

What is the cable modems make and model no?

The best way for you setup would be:

Internet ->Modem->Router->iMac

->PC (via WIFI from router - WPA2)

Your modem could contain a router if you are lucky - otherwise get a router (Time capsule or Airport).

The time capsule also has a hardisk built in for Time Machine backups (you are backing up -right?)

May 27, 2013 8:34 AM in response to eduaed999

The modem is Motorola SSBV5121 cable modem.

I don't know how to set up a WPA2 network. When I go to System Preferences/ Network, I have the option of requiring a password or not. When I select Require Password, I only have two options 40-bit WEP or 128-bit WEP.

If I select to not require a password, I still cannot connect with the PC.

May 27, 2013 8:50 AM in response to Fred L Johnson

Are you sure you are running snow leopard 10.6.8 on the mac? That is what is listed in your first post. I am sure, athough I haven't checked, that snow leopard has more then WEP as a security option for making a wifi hotspot.

I'd fire up snow leopard on my mac notebook to check but I am doing a time machine backup right now.

But in the end you really need a router. It will solve all your problems and you won't have to use the mac as a wifi hotspot.

May 27, 2013 12:19 PM in response to LowLuster

Selecting Advanced on the Network preferences gets me to other tabs: Airport, TCP/IP, DNS, WNS, 802.1Z, Proxies, and Ethernet. Under 802.1X there is a Security Type list from which I can choose either 802.1X WEP, WPA Enterprise, or WPA2 Enterprise, but I don't really know what to do with the other settings. For example, I must enter a User Profile before any of these options become available, and there are several authentication profiles to choose from.

PC won't connect to iMac Airport wireless network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.