Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need help! Keyboard/trackpad issues

I have a MacBook Pro, 13-inch OS X 10.6.8, bought in May 2011. I've had one incident about 6-7 months ago where I spilled rub bing alcohol on it. It cut off immediately. Then after a few days of letting it be, I was able to start it up again. The fans ran around 6000 rpm for a couple days then it went back to normal and I've had no problems with it since then...until now. A couple weeks ago the keys and trackpad have been misbehaving very sporadically. The space key is the main issue. Sometimes it won 't work (I've copied a space and am pasting it in every time it's not working) and when it does work, it sporadically acts as if I'm holding it down and won't stop. And while this is going on, if it's not acting as if I'm holding it down it will put random spaces between letters as I'm trying to type. Also, most of the time when the space key will work, the cmd key doesn't work properly. It opens up "Spotlight" instead of allowing me to copy, paste etc.. one last thing a nd i'm not going to try to make the spelling/spacing perfect because it's really frustrating and i thought i'd give you all an idea of what's going on while im typing. the trackpad also has a mind of it 's ow n . it wi ll s croll all the w ay to t he bo t tom o f the w eb pa ge a nd it w il l not all ow me t o s cr oll ba ck up. it a ct s as i f the s cr oll er is bei ng f orc ed t o sta y do w n. What could be the cause of this and is there anything i can do myself to fix it?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 27, 2013 6:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2013 6:20 AM

Water damage, Rubbing alcohol has water in it. You'll need to take it to apple for repairs.

10 replies

May 27, 2013 6:54 AM in response to LowLuster

Yeah exactly, I was having doubts about it being a solution, but it was the best idea I could come up with. I've already tried resetting the SMC and PRAM. And I was about to do a reinstall but I thought I'd see if anyone here in the support discussions knew of any other options besides taking it to an Apple store and having to pay to get it fixed if reinstalling won't work.

May 27, 2013 7:11 AM in response to aznglw

First step to take is to backup the computer.

Other than that computer should not be used at all.

Second step is to seek professional help and to make sure that no serious damage occurred.

You may see some other suggestions but they may not help that much in the long run.

Corrosive effect of water on electronics is progressive.

Keeping it in a bag of rice is not an option here.

Best.

I need help! Keyboard/trackpad issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.