Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I check whether photos in iPhoto are also in Finder?

Being used to a PC I imported my photos from that to Pictures in Finder. Since then I have also imported photos into iPhone. Is there an easy way to check whether all my photos are in both? I understand that the method of import denotes whether a copy or original is in iPhoto? Many thanks for any help

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), PC has XP operating system

Posted on May 27, 2013 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2013 7:43 AM

Did you copy the photo to a folder or on hard disk. If so it is there. If you only imported it into iPhoto it is most likely not in a location elsewhere on your Mac.

All your iPhoto photos are in the iPhoto library which is usually stored in your Photos folder.

9 replies

May 27, 2013 7:47 AM in response to Gillie69

The flag in the Preferences > Advanced "Importing > Copy items to the iPhoto Library" determines, if your original photos are copied and savely managed by iPhoto or not. On no account disable this flag. It is hard to recover from broken links and you will not be able to move or copy the iPhoto library and the referenced photos to another drive with the tools provided by iPhoto, if it is referenced - a dissaster, if you have to replace a broken drive.

To check, if previously imported photos have been stored in the library, select them in iPhoto and use the command "File > Reveal in Finder > Original File".

This will open a Finder window with the folder containing the original file. If this is somewhere inside the iPhoto Library package, your file has been copied into the library.

Regards

Léonie

User uploaded file

May 27, 2013 8:17 AM in response to léonie

To reply to Ralph: I have imported photos both into iPhoto and Pictures in Finder.

To reply to leonieDF: I have used the check you suggest and find that the photos are in both iPhoto and Finder. Presumably then this means that I have taken up double the storage space? At the moment this is not a problem as I have plenty but I use Photoshop Elements a lot for Digital Scrapbooking which I know uses a lot of memory and disc space.

Many thanks to you both for your very fast responses to my question which has puzzled me for some time. After many years use of a PC, a Mac does take a bit of getting used to.

Regards

Gill

May 27, 2013 8:35 AM in response to Gillie69

I use Photoshop Elements a lot for Digital Scrapbooking which I know uses a lot of memory and disc space.

You can access Photoshop Elements right from inside iPhoto, if you set iPhoto as an external editor. This way you do not need to keep copies of your photos outside of iPhoto.

User uploaded file

You may want to have a look at these User Tips:

How to Access Files in iPhoto

Exporting From iPhoto

May 27, 2013 11:15 AM in response to Gillie69

This may be preaching to the choir or may be of interest to you :

Using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements as Your Editor of Choice in iPhoto.

1 - select Photoshop or Photoshop Elememts as your editor of choice in iPhoto's General Preference Section's under the "Edit photo:" menu.

User uploaded file

2 - double click on the thumbnail in iPhoto to open it in Photoshop. When you're finished editing click on the Save button. If you immediately get the JPEG Options window make your selection (Baseline standard seems to be the most compatible jpeg format) and click on the OK button. Your done.

3 - however, if you get the navigation window

User uploaded file

that indicates that PS wants to save it as a PS formatted file. You'll need to either select JPEG from the menu and save (top image) or click on the desktop in the Navigation window (bottom image) and save it to the desktop for importing as a new photo.

This method will let iPhoto know that the photo has been editied and will update the thumbnail file to reflect the edit..

NOTE: With Photoshop Elements the Saving File preferences should be configured as shown:

User uploaded file

I also suggest the Maximize PSD File Compatabilty be set to Always. In PSE’s General preference pane set the Color Picker to Apple as shown:

User uploaded file

Note: to switch between iPhoto and PS or PSE as the editor of choice Control (right)-click on the thumbnail and select either Edit in iPhoto or Edit in External Editor from the contextual menu. If you use iPhoto to edit more than PSE re-select iPhoto in the iPhoto General preference pane. Then iPhoto will be the default editor and you can use the contextual menu to select PSE for your editor when desired.

OT

May 28, 2013 6:35 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you OT.

I understand completely what you describe and have my PSE preferences as you advise. Could you explain, however, why you suggest in your final note to set Colour Picker to Apple please? I do a lot of printing of scrapbook pages and never know quite which colour picker to set. I currently have the iMac Colour Display set to iMac Calibrated - is this wrong? Or am I, perhaps, opening a whole can of worms which would be beyond my comprehension!

Should PSE or my printer control the colour? Sorry so many questions.

I do appreciate the care and help given on this Forum so thank you very much.

Gill

How do I check whether photos in iPhoto are also in Finder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.