Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto libraries syncing

I have two iPhoto libraries. One on my iMac and one on my Mac Book Air.

They are substantially the same but because I have my MBA with me when we travel I have some photos on the MBA that are not on the iMac.

I would like to sync the two libraries and delete any duplicates.

I am trying to free up some space on the MBA so would like to keep my main library on the Mac and then copy it for traveling to my iPad.

I am using version 09 of iPhoto.

Could someone give me a procedure for this please.

Thanks in advance

joshe.

iMac 27", Mac OS X (10.6.6), Macbook Air 13" Time capsule. 1Tb. ipod classic 160GB

Posted on May 27, 2013 8:45 AM

10 replies

May 27, 2013 8:53 AM in response to joshe123

What do you mean by "Sync".

The general term means when two Libraries (A and B) are compared and files in Library A are copied to Library B, while files in Library B are also copied to Library A so that both Libraries are identical.

This is bi-directional copying and you cannot do this automatically with iPhoto. No Syncing software is capable of parsing the iPhoto Library in this manner. One or both of your Libraries will be damaged if you try this.

You can have uni-directional copying - files in Library A are copied to Library B - this is essentially backing up. Obviously you can also copy from Library B to Library A.

The nearest you can get to syncing is to use iPhoto Library Manager to move files/Albums/Events plus associated metadata between Libraries. This process cannot be automated.

May 27, 2013 9:40 AM in response to joshe123

If I copy the files from the MBA to a memory stick and transfer them to my Mac will this bring across all data or do I need to buy iPhoto Library Manager and install on the two computers before copying the files.

Could I copy them over using my network with wifi.

You are confusing photos with files

You can export photos to a desktoip folder, drag that folder to a memory stick and move it to another machine and import the photos there - no this does not move all data - it moves only the version of the photo that you exported, moves only the metadate that you exported and gives you a totally new photo on teh destination system

If you use IPLM it moves everything - all versions of the photo with editing and maintains the metadata - it can move over the WiFi network although a wired connection is better

LN

iPhoto libraries syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.