Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Display USB ports screwey?

I just bought this thunderbolt display about 2 weeks ago, and as much as I love the DISPLAY, the rest of it is making me want to kick puppies!

The display has three USB ports in the back. In port #1 I have my wired apple keyboard plugged in. In port #2 is an external USB drive, and in port #3 is a powered USB hub.

I take my Macbook Pro with me out and about pretty much every day, and then when I come home I dock the MBP to the Thunderbolt display.

For the first week this worked wonderfully.

Ever since that first week though I have been having CONSTANT problems with the display. When I dock the MBP, then hit a key on the keyboard to wake the computer, nothing happens. I wait a minute. Nothing.

I then click my magic trackpad and I hear the USB drive spin up, and the display wakes up. Great. I then go to type my password. Nothing. The USB wired keyboard DOES NOT WORK. This is also why it wouldn't wake when I hit a key on the keyboard. The wired keyboard refuses to work. I UNPLUG the wired keyboard from port #1 on the Tunderbolt Display and plug it in to the powered USB hub (which is itself plugged into port #3 on the display) and NOW the keyboard works. I type in my password.

Bad port #1?

Here is the kicker. After i've logged, in I can unplug the keyboard from the USB hub, and plug it BACK INTO the diplay port #1 and it works fine, and will continue to work fine until such time as the MBP is put to sleep again.

tl;dr Port #1 on my Thunderbolt display does not work until after i've logged into my MBP.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on May 27, 2013 6:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2013 4:35 AM

Have you tried to reset the TB display? Unplug from the wall. Wait at least 30s then connect your MBP to display. Plug display back into wall, power up MBP and see what happens. This process can reset the settings. Also, are you running V1.2 firmware on display?. If that does not work remove all items connected to USB port except the keyboard and see what happens. I've had issues with external drives casuing boot up issues. It is also possible that at startup the keyboard is drawing mor amps than the USB port can provide (not sure why this would start doing all of a sudden).

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2013 4:35 AM in response to jwvanderbeck

Have you tried to reset the TB display? Unplug from the wall. Wait at least 30s then connect your MBP to display. Plug display back into wall, power up MBP and see what happens. This process can reset the settings. Also, are you running V1.2 firmware on display?. If that does not work remove all items connected to USB port except the keyboard and see what happens. I've had issues with external drives casuing boot up issues. It is also possible that at startup the keyboard is drawing mor amps than the USB port can provide (not sure why this would start doing all of a sudden).

May 28, 2013 8:35 AM in response to tbirdvet

I have no tried resetting, so I will do that.

About the firmware, I have no ide how to check that, however since I only JUST bought this a few weeks ago I would imagine it would be loaded with the latest firmware. That aside though, how do I check it?

One weird thing I noted this morning, is that the above problems only seem to occur not just after the MBP sleeps, but after it has been disconnected from the display and reconnected. I rememberd that I always put it to sleep at night when I go to bed, but it works fine in the morning when I tap the keyboard. Its only after I take the laptop to work and back, then reconnect it, that the issue occurs.

Jul 10, 2013 11:30 AM in response to gordonou

Nope I continue to have major problems with my TB display.

I keep my keyboard plugged into the powered USB Hub (which as I mentioned above is actually plugged into the display), and that seems to allow the keyboard to wake the computer properly.

But more recently i've been having an issue where after i've woken the display and logged in, about 1 minute AFTER i've logged in, the display will go back to sleep again! Then when I hit a key i'm back at the login like it never happened.

Oddly this only happens once, the first time after the MBP is connected to the display.

I really should call support, since I have the applecare on this, but i'm dreading them telling me I have to bring it back to the store which means a 25minute walk carrying a very heavy monitor 😟

Sep 20, 2013 11:03 PM in response to jwvanderbeck

I have a small office and have bought at least 7 displays, 4 thunderbolt and 3 display port.

We also have about 10 apple usb keyboards and we are a 100% apple environment (macbooks etc).

I have never seen such a dodgy combination than macbook retinas mixed with apple displays and apple usb keyboards. Every single day when we come into the office, at least one of us has to waste 10 minutes unplugging and re-plugging our usb keyboard in just to get it to detect.

At my house, this is the same, no matter whether it is thunderbolt or display port, or which usb keyboard we try. We try different usb ports (both on the macbook retina itself and the display port usb ports), which would indicate that the display is fine and there's a problem with the usb device or the macbooks, but when you unplug the display and just hook the keyboard directly up to the macbook, it works without fail every single time.

I am 1000% convinced that this is not a 'bad batch' of hardware we have bought, as they were all bought at different times from different apple stores. It's a problem with all Apple displays that gets triggered somehow. Other usb devices all seem to detect and work just fine (probably because they aren't apple devices). If we daisy chain other devices into the keyboard, they decrease the chances of the keyboard working, which *may* indicate power problems.

We have consistently updated the displays and all system software. We are developers and not new to hardware, computers, apple operating systems, etc.

It's infuriating, because the displays are fantastic once they work. And we all prefer the apple keyboards to any other. I am convinced the blame lies completely with Apple on this, and it's such a basic problem that costs us money every single day because of poor quality control.

The weird illusion that people have that Apple produce high quality products that 'just work' is just plain wrong. They are fantastic when they work, but you have to make sure they do and there's a 50/50 chance you've bought a dud with anything they release.

Oct 3, 2013 4:21 AM in response to ghotiing

Thanks @ghotiing. The difference between your reply to me and your previous message is the word "cable." An extension is typically a piece of software, and for the life of me I couldn't find any Apple USB extension software in my searches. My apologies for the misunderstanding. Nobody in this support area is just trolling. We're all dealing with a defective piece of expensive Apple hardware.

Nov 14, 2013 7:57 AM in response to jwvanderbeck

I've been having the exact same issues with my Thunderbolt display and my Mac Air. This solution has been working for me, hopefully it will for you as well:

I put a power strip with an on/off switch between the Thunderbolt display and the outlet. Before I leave my office, I power down the Mac Air, disconnect it from the Thurnderbolt and then power down the display via the power strip.

When I come back in the morning, I hook the Mac Air up to the Thunderbolt, both items still powered down. I turn on the power to the display and then power up the computer.

Everything works, keyboards, usb devices, external hard drives ,etc. I've yet to have the same problems from before.

Hope that helps.

Thunderbolt Display USB ports screwey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.