Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get mail to stay in trash

I have about 30 emails that when I delete them, they reappear in the In Box. I have tried dragging to the trash, restarting iMail, etc. Nothing is working. My settings have not changed. Thanks

User uploaded file

iPad, iOS 5.1, New as of 10/16/2012

Posted on May 27, 2013 7:04 PM

5 replies

May 28, 2013 5:24 AM in response to LowLuster

In reply to both:

This is an imap account but I only have these 30 or so emails that won't delete out of hundreds. I do not drag to trash, I hit delete. I did try dragging to trash which actually does not make a difference unless it is a gmail account ( which doesn't work on a desktop). I have my settings correct for deleting trash. These emails are acting like gmail not icloud accounts except that they never disappear from their space in the list. The email becomes lighter. Very strange.

May 28, 2013 5:28 AM in response to podisc

I want to add that even though my settings show to permanently delete after one month these do not stay in they trash. They do not go to the trash at all. They remain in place and lighten to light grey. They refuse to go! Usually you delete them, they are in trash and if you want, you can empty the trash folder. These don't even move. I get at least 500-1000 emails/daily. This is only about 30 that won't delete, not all of my emails

Aug 28, 2015 4:35 PM in response to podisc

I run 10.7.5, Mail version 5.3. I find that I cannot complete the deletion of Gmail using the Mail program, the deleted mail just shows back up either in the regular mail folder or sits in the trash forever. I found that I have to open the Gmail program through Safari, then go to the "trash" folder and click the "empty trash now" button. Presto/chango it's gone for good. apparently Google Gmail is not going to let some pipsqueak Apple program tell it what to do.

Can't get mail to stay in trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.