Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very slow boot for Mt. Lion imac mid 2007. Want speedup.

Last boot from off took about 11 minutes. Once booted imac works OK. This slow down has been in the last month only. How do I speed up the process? I have tried repairing permissions, repair disk, and maintenence utility. These test are very slow and no improvement seen. I have 3 gb ram.

Thanks.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on May 27, 2013 7:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2013 7:11 PM

Could be several things, first 3GB is not enough RAM to run Mountain Lion efficiently, your machine should have at least 3GB of RAM. Also your description sounds like a possible failing HD, before you do anything backup the computer and run Apple Hardware Test in Extended mode 3x.

10 replies

May 28, 2013 5:58 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. Instead of running the disk utilities in recovery mode, I ran fsck in single user mode thinking that it would be more powerful. I did have to force a start, but the results revealed that the HD was acting properly. I ran repair permissions, and oddly it found nothing. I am ordering a 2gb memory stick to replace the 1gb stick. Now I will have a total of 4gb, which is the max for my imac.

At this point I will be waiting for the new ram to arrive.

Thanks for your help.

S.

May 28, 2013 9:44 AM in response to stanleefrommonterey

RAM may or may not solve all of your issues.

How full is your Mac's hard drive?

If there is less than 20 GBs left on your iMac, it maybe time to start archiving and cleaning off your iMac's hard drive.

How many applications do you run simultaneously in the background while working in another application?

Do you run any antivirus software on your Mac? Antivirus software can slow down the normal operation of OS X.

Do you run any "crapware" like Mackeeper or any other type of so called hard drive "cleaning" apps?

Very slow boot for Mt. Lion imac mid 2007. Want speedup.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.