Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I play different instruments in a concert?

I use MainStage in live performances with a pair of sound-less keyboards (Alesis Q49, Q25). I want my keyboard to make different instrument/sounds (what is correct word?) for different songs in a concert. Example:

• Song 1: Grand Piano
  • Song 2: Pop Flute.

So here's what I do

• Open a concert.
  • Enter edit mode.
  • Add a patch in the list on the left. This becomes Patch 1, for Song 1.
  • In the Channel Strip on the right, click the first rectangular button.
  • Navigate to Grand Piano and select it.
  • Add a second patch. This becomes Patch 2, for Song 2.
  • Make sure that Patch 2 is selected in the list on the left.
  • In the Channel Strip on the right, click the first rectangular button.
  • Navigate to a Pop Flute sound and select it.
  • Now in the list on the left, go back and select Patch 1.

Expected Result: Channel strip should revert to Grand Piano.

Actual Result: Channel strip stays on Pop Flute.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jerry Krinock

MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2012)

Posted on May 27, 2013 10:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2013 1:34 AM

Hi

I'm not sure what you are doing wrong, so try this:

1) New Concert using the "Keyboard" template (the one with only 1 Patch in it, but a full set of Screen Controls)

2) In Layout Mode, select the Keyboard Screen Control, click the Assign button and play your MIDI keyboard. This will assign the in-coming MIDI. You may want to repeat this process later for the other Screen Controls that you want to Assign and Map.

3) In Edit mode, you should now have 1 Patch (Electric Piano) that you can hear when you play your keyboard.

4) In Edit Mode, Click the + at the top of the Patch List to make a new Patch.

5) In the Patch Inspector at the bottom of the screen, select a Software Instrument Patch (say, pre-mapped:01 Keyboards:01 Acoustic Piano:Grand Piano. This will load up an Instrument Channel Strip, and the Screen Controls will be pre-mapped to useful parameters.

6) Repeat Steps 4 & 5 to load other patches as needed.

CCT

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2013 1:34 AM in response to Jerome Krinock

Hi

I'm not sure what you are doing wrong, so try this:

1) New Concert using the "Keyboard" template (the one with only 1 Patch in it, but a full set of Screen Controls)

2) In Layout Mode, select the Keyboard Screen Control, click the Assign button and play your MIDI keyboard. This will assign the in-coming MIDI. You may want to repeat this process later for the other Screen Controls that you want to Assign and Map.

3) In Edit mode, you should now have 1 Patch (Electric Piano) that you can hear when you play your keyboard.

4) In Edit Mode, Click the + at the top of the Patch List to make a new Patch.

5) In the Patch Inspector at the bottom of the screen, select a Software Instrument Patch (say, pre-mapped:01 Keyboards:01 Acoustic Piano:Grand Piano. This will load up an Instrument Channel Strip, and the Screen Controls will be pre-mapped to useful parameters.

6) Repeat Steps 4 & 5 to load other patches as needed.

CCT

May 29, 2013 7:18 AM in response to CCTM

Thank you, CCT.

It didn't work quite like you said. The Keyboard template gives me a new concert with several dozen patches in it, not one. But when I change the instruments in any of them, the changes "stick". I changed a few of them to the instruments that I need, renamed them, deleted the other dozens, and now I've got what I want.

I'm sure there's a simple explanation for all this, but I've got what I need for now!

How do I play different instruments in a concert?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.