Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New server in my network list replacing my server

Recently a new unprotected server appeared in my home server list which I noted my iPad was trying to use instead of my regular home one it always uses.

On the ipad I went to Settings and selected this server, pressed blue arrow on right to get more info and saw Forget this server" which I pressed, but the sever persists in my fairly long list being in an apartment building.

This morning I was connected to the rogue server again.

Is there a way to permanently delete it and block any of my devices from using it?

iPad 3G, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 28, 2013 7:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2013 8:36 AM

Do you have "Ask to Join Networks" set ON or OFF in Settings > Wi-Fi?

6 replies

May 28, 2013 10:14 AM in response to Steven Shmerler

Hi Mark. I did some reading and it "Ask" was on and now it's off and WiFi has to be on in order to access the Internet.

I also linked for a second to the server and then you can go into it and click Forget this Server, which I did and then reselected my router.

I assumed clicking "forget" would take it out of your list, but it didn't. I wonder if the "forget" feature is functioning correctly. Do you know?

Thanks,
Steven

May 28, 2013 3:49 PM in response to Steven Shmerler

In theory, if you have "Ask to Join Networks" set ON on an iOS device and you "forget" a network on that device, that device should not join that network in the future without asking for permission. You would have to repeat that on each of your iOS devices.

Clicking "forget" should not take the network out of the list, because the list is a list of networks that are visible to the device at the instant.

Going back to your original post, what indication did you have that your iPad was trying to use this new unproteted server?

May 29, 2013 5:37 AM in response to markwmsn

Good morning.. Oh.. so turn it back on. Got it.

My evidence is that I couldn't get to any websites on my iPad. I checked Settings and saw it was connected to the unprotected one. Which I realize now is problably my fault.

A week ago when I first noticed the server, I dumbly, I clicked it just to see if it worked. I have a 30Mbps account and have no interest in stealing someone's connection.

I'm thinking that my network must have crashed and then the iPad chose the other network.

So hopefully "forgetting it" will end this. I can test by powering down my modem and see if it selects the other again.

New server in my network list replacing my server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.