Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble emptying trash. How can I fix it?

I have deleted several things now (i.e pictures, documents..ect..) and yet when I go to empty the trash it say that its empty. This has become a problem because it is occupying my Mac's memory. Yet it shows me that the trash doesnt contain anything. I'm beginning to think that the volume might be corrupted or something? What can I do to fix it? Is that the problem?
Is it better to just restart it to its original settings? and if so, how can I do it seeing as I don't have the installation disk. (I can't find it anywhere)

I have a Macbook (early 2008 , Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5)

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 28, 2013 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2013 11:47 AM

Recreate the same scenario on another user account. If the Trash isn't working there as well, then log back into your admin account, run Disk Utility to see if the startup disk needs repairing.

Instructions for Disk Utility located in HD > Applications > Utilities

Launch DU then select the startup disk on the left then select the First Aid tab.

Click: Verify Disk

If the disk needs repairing, since you have v10.7 installed, in order to repair the disk, you will have to restart your Mac while holding down the Command + R keys. Help here > OS X: About OS X Recovery

If your Mac came with a prior Mac OS X installed, do not use the install discs that came with the Mac to the repair the disk.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2013 11:47 AM in response to Blue03

Recreate the same scenario on another user account. If the Trash isn't working there as well, then log back into your admin account, run Disk Utility to see if the startup disk needs repairing.

Instructions for Disk Utility located in HD > Applications > Utilities

Launch DU then select the startup disk on the left then select the First Aid tab.

Click: Verify Disk

If the disk needs repairing, since you have v10.7 installed, in order to repair the disk, you will have to restart your Mac while holding down the Command + R keys. Help here > OS X: About OS X Recovery

If your Mac came with a prior Mac OS X installed, do not use the install discs that came with the Mac to the repair the disk.

Jun 2, 2013 12:33 PM in response to macjack

Actually It seems to have worked!
I restarted once it was done (took a while) but once it started back up. I dragged something to the trash and I was able to see the icon change (see paper in the trash) and empty the trash. Which I hadn't been able to do before. Im not sure what happened to the previous items but they seem to be gone as well. Hopefuly that fixed the problem. Thank you very much.

Trouble emptying trash. How can I fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.