Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet/ WiFi Loss after Restart - "Limited Network" Win 8 BC

Please someone help me,

Ok I'm the guy who will go to the ends of the earth to find a solution to a problem without asking for assistance...But this has got me stuck.

I live in a area with Fibre or Cable being the only choice of connection which is great for speed so I cant complain, Here's my issue:

In the house we have Ethernet Ports throught the rooms so I cable me iMac 27 up OSX Mountain lion and enjoy High speed internet, we have a option for WiFi so I have that set up on my phone (Galaxy Nexus) and another connection on the mac just incase. The issue I have been facing of late is the followng, When I Sleep/Restart or shut down the Mac the next time I use it I have no internet either by Ethernet or WiFi - I have to manually delete the internet settings and re add them again to get a connection.

Thats fine, Because once I do it it it starts working again, the only thing is that it starts giving Random Ip Addys - For Instance My Default Gateway is 10.1.1.1 yeah ok but when this happens and I try to acces the gateway (on the WiFi of course) it doesnt show up, But I have connection to the internet? Am I missing something here? I check my WiFi settings and sure enough the Ip changed, The other thing is that when I'm Hardwired Via Ethernet / Or on WiFi i can usally switch between my Partions without having to worry about the connection, but since this has been Happening everytime I get into my Windows 8 Side I get a "Limited Access" on Both Ethernet Broadcom Adaptor and Me WiFi.

It's driving me nuts, I ran and Ipconfig and it stated "Media Disconnected" So i went ahead and uninstalled the Network Adaptors for Ethernet and WiFi on The Windows Side and reinstalled them with Boot Camp 5 drivers so I had a clean slate and still it says "Limited" arrrrggghhhhhh!!! My Windows 8 is Authenticated and Registered and has been working great until this random connection on good old OSX Side started happening. Can someone please point me in the right direction, I have spoke to my ISP, restarted modes and crap it's not that It's like somethings forcing my Network to change on boot and I just dont know what to do anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreicated.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Windows 8

Posted on May 28, 2013 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2013 10:57 AM

Hello, can't help with the Win8 problem I don't think... I flushed that waste of money long ago.

Anyway, see if any of this helps or helps possibly explain what is happening.

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

10.5, 10.6, 10.7 & 10.8…

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

10.5.x/10.6.x/10.7.x instructions...

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

If using Wifi/Airport...

Instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

For 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8, System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

(There may be better or faster DNS numbers in your area, but these should be a good test).

Click OK.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2013 10:57 AM in response to TheShootingSTAR

Hello, can't help with the Win8 problem I don't think... I flushed that waste of money long ago.

Anyway, see if any of this helps or helps possibly explain what is happening.

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

10.5, 10.6, 10.7 & 10.8…

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

10.5.x/10.6.x/10.7.x instructions...

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

If using Wifi/Airport...

Instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

For 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8, System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

(There may be better or faster DNS numbers in your area, but these should be a good test).

Click OK.

May 28, 2013 11:08 AM in response to BDAqua

Hey BD,

I was just reading another one of our replies to a simalr Question haha and yes i followed your instructions about the ethernet, now when I restart i'm still connected, Thankyou so much. I'm not sure what the Fffs going on with the Windows side but Im happy it's working, I'll have to google a bit more about the way BC Network Adaptor settings are affected with cases like this.

Your a gentleman and a scholar sir,

Thanks.

Ethernet/ WiFi Loss after Restart - "Limited Network" Win 8 BC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.