Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery charging

Hello.... and probably a silly question. Got my hubby's new Macbook Pro set up yesterday evening, quickly. Just turned it on so that he could ENJOY his new toy. It was pretty much fully charged. I did wait until this morning then to plug in the Magsafe power supply cord so that it could charge. I noticed that it was down to about 34% at the time we plugged it in. Seemed fine..... port plug showed green, then went to yellow indicating it was charging. But then the screen just went gray.... not OFF, but gray........

Is this because it was too far down battery-wise? It is brand new!

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 28, 2013 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2013 10:06 AM

Hi l,

This shouldn't happen. It could be a hardware issue. Given that it's brand new, I'd call AppleCare or go to an Apple Store. You have a 14 day return/exchange policy and a one year hardware warranty.

8 replies

May 28, 2013 10:33 AM in response to tjk

And forgot to mention when this happened...... my husband was working on it, and the screen went blank, NOT TO SLEEP..... as it would not respond to key touch or mouse movement. I finally powered it off. Let it finish charging itself completely. Then powered it on.... and seems okay........

May 28, 2013 10:46 AM in response to tjk

I have heeded your first reply, tkj! I already have made a note to pass by the Apple Store tomorrow and have a word with the sales person who got us set up. I just wanted to follow up with a little more detailed information. Sometimes, I might type too fast and leave the information sounding a bit vague. And yes, this is a 15" MacBook Pro.

May 29, 2013 8:07 PM in response to tjk

Hello tjk,

Just wanted to say.... took the MBPro to the Apple Store today. They ran diagnostics on the hardware and adaptor and found all to be okay in that regard. It was found then that there was a very large amount of software needing to be updated. They had done a timeline backup to copy from his old Powerbook to the new Macbook Pro and plenty was outdated. SO..... the conclusion was that this needed software update had caused the issue. Right now all is up and running...... hoping the problem is solved.

May 29, 2013 8:18 PM in response to lutra

lutra wrote:

They had done a timeline backup to copy from his old Powerbook to the new Macbook Pro and plenty was outdated. SO..... the conclusion was that this needed software update had caused the issue.

That would do it. Thanks for posting back and glad you got it worked out. 😉

Battery charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.