Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi printer with AirPort Extreme

Folks,

I have a slightly older HP all in one printer supporting wifi, Bluetooth, usb, and 100BT. I need it to be accessible to my iPad, iPhone and iMac via WiFi.

The printer, upon joining the SSID, was Immediately visible to Win 8. I do not yet see it on any of my Apple devices.

How do I set it up to permit printing over WiFi. The printer is not within reach of the AirPort Extreme via USB.

Thanks.

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Gen), iOS 6.1.4

Posted on May 28, 2013 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2013 9:05 PM

While your HP all in one should be visible to your Macs, printing from an iOS device is a different matter altogether.

Solve the first problem first: install the printer using your Mac's System Preferences > Print & Scan. Depending on your version of OS X one or more of the following will get you started:

Mountain Lion:

OS X Mountain Lion: Set up a printer

OS X Mountain Lion: Set up a printer to print wirelessly

OS X Mountain Lion: Troubleshoot a network printer

Lion:

Mac 101: Printing (OS X Lion)

Snow Leopard:

Mac 101: Printing (Mac OS X v10.6)

Generic:

How to connect a wireless-capable printer to your AirPort network

Printing Quick Assist

Once you are able to use the printer and all its features from your Mac, you can configure it to share the printer and use one of at least two utilities that enable it to act as a print server for your iOS devices. There are other options as well. Get it working with your Mac first, then we can discuss your iOS options.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2013 9:05 PM in response to ChuckLasher

While your HP all in one should be visible to your Macs, printing from an iOS device is a different matter altogether.

Solve the first problem first: install the printer using your Mac's System Preferences > Print & Scan. Depending on your version of OS X one or more of the following will get you started:

Mountain Lion:

OS X Mountain Lion: Set up a printer

OS X Mountain Lion: Set up a printer to print wirelessly

OS X Mountain Lion: Troubleshoot a network printer

Lion:

Mac 101: Printing (OS X Lion)

Snow Leopard:

Mac 101: Printing (Mac OS X v10.6)

Generic:

How to connect a wireless-capable printer to your AirPort network

Printing Quick Assist

Once you are able to use the printer and all its features from your Mac, you can configure it to share the printer and use one of at least two utilities that enable it to act as a print server for your iOS devices. There are other options as well. Get it working with your Mac first, then we can discuss your iOS options.

Jun 11, 2013 11:11 AM in response to ChuckLasher

John, all,

Thanks for confirming what I thought.

I wish to give back some additional info which might be of help to others.

The app I found allows any 'Windows' supported print/scan device to show up as an AirPrint device. I have it installed and supporting the other equipment in the house, leaving my Mac free for me.

The package is 'FingerPrint' from Collobos Software. It runs on a Microsoft platform without the need for my Mac. It's a small piece of software which iOS 6.1.4 takes very kindly to, I'm now free to take my Mac with me on travel (which I do for long projects) without having an idle printer left behind.

If I can be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

Chuck

Wifi printer with AirPort Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.