Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store says I need to install ML 10.8.3 when it is already installed

Long ago I upgraded to Mountain Lion but now the App store says there is an update, Mountain Lion 10.8.3 and insists I need to install it even though I have and About This Mac agrees that the system is running 10.8.3.

How do I convince the App store that I'm already there? It keeps popping up the ML installer, annoying to say the least.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 28, 2013 2:24 PM

11 replies

May 29, 2013 5:59 PM in response to rebloss

That can happen if you have a copy of an ML installer for earlier version - 'Install OS X Mountain Lion' , also if

/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

is giving info to software update/app store which makes it seem that an update is needed.

If you've no copy of the Installer, see what that plist contains... Textedit can open them, usually; or Quicklook will show you what's inside.

Here, for 10.8.3, it contains:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>ProductBuildVersion</key>

<string>12D78</string>

<key>ProductCopyright</key>

<string>1983-2013 Apple Inc.</string>

<key>ProductName</key>

<string>Mac OS X</string>

<key>ProductUserVisibleVersion</key>

<string>10.8.3</string>

<key>ProductVersion</key>

<string>10.8.3</string>

</dict>

</plist>

May 30, 2013 11:46 AM in response to rebloss

Post a picture of the prompt you're talking about. Also interested in seeing a pic of the About this mac window, from under the apple menu.

It sounds like it's just downloaded the update and wants you to restart to apply it. If you click the Apple >> Restart, does the window that comes up asks if you want to restart and install updates or restart without installing them?

If so, just restart and install them...

App Store says I need to install ML 10.8.3 when it is already installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.