Hello there Elphie7,
I have an article here about troubleshooting printer issues named Troubleshooting printer issues in OS X found here http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3147 that should help you out here.
USB printers and Bonjour-enabled network printers
Follow these steps until the issue is addressed:
- Make sure that the printer is powered on, has ink / toner, and that there are no alerts on the printer’s control panel. Note: If you cannot clear an alert on the printer's control panel, stop here and check the printer's documentation or contact the manufacturer for support.
- Ensure the printer is properly connected to a USB port on the Mac or AirPort base station / Time Capsule. If the printer is a network-capable printer, make sure that it is properly connected to your home network.
- Use Software Update to find and install the latest available updates. If an update is installed, see if the issue persists.
- Open the Print & Scan pane or Print & Fax (Snow Leopard) pane in System Preferences.
- Delete the affected printer, then add the printer again.
If the issue persists, try these additional steps:
All the very best,