Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removing "Open With [Program]" from Right-Click menu

I was looking around for Applications that could play .avi files and I found Perian so decided to install it. After installing it I quickly found that it didn't work with all of my .avi files and after some further reading realized that Perian is no longer supported and apparently does not work with QT 10. I decided to uninstall it and use VLC player instead. After uninstalling Perian and removing it from the "System Properties" it looks like it's still showing up in the right-click menu for .avi files.

My question is how do I remove this from being an option whenever I right-click an .avi file? Perian is no longer installed and I don't want to see it as an option.

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 28, 2013 4:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2013 4:16 PM

This is probably because all the associated files have not been removed and it is still in the LaunchServices cache. To be sure you remove all associated files may require re-installing the app and using AppCleaner to trash it and it's supporting files.

Then, you may also need to clear LaunchServices caches

Launch /Utilities/Terminal and copy & paste this at the prompt to rebuild LaunchServices: (be sure to copy the entire line it's a scroll)

Code:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Then press return. Wait until terminal returns to the command line. Quit Terminal. After that, log out and back in or restart. Let us know

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2013 4:16 PM in response to miggysmalls

This is probably because all the associated files have not been removed and it is still in the LaunchServices cache. To be sure you remove all associated files may require re-installing the app and using AppCleaner to trash it and it's supporting files.

Then, you may also need to clear LaunchServices caches

Launch /Utilities/Terminal and copy & paste this at the prompt to rebuild LaunchServices: (be sure to copy the entire line it's a scroll)

Code:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Then press return. Wait until terminal returns to the command line. Quit Terminal. After that, log out and back in or restart. Let us know

Removing "Open With [Program]" from Right-Click menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.