Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail app is marking every message unread until I read it locally

So I recently bought a MacBook Pro, and haven't been able to find a solution to this email issue I'm having. In the mail app any time I receive a new email, it is marked as unread until I read the message on the MacBook itself. If I read the message on my iPhone, then it is marked as read on my phone, iPad, and in Safari, but Mail continues to show it as unread. My coworkers do not have the same issue, so it would seem to be an issue with my Mail settings, but nothing I've done has solved the problem. I already tried removing the account and adding it again (now all of my emails are unread) and rebooting of course. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 28, 2013 5:28 PM

20 replies

May 29, 2013 7:36 AM in response to AshtonH49

Nobody said it was not possible with an Exchange account, calm down, it did not help that you did not identify the account for a while thus forcing some guesswork at this end.

If it is working on your iPad check the account type there, tell me if ActivSync is in use or some other protocol.

According to Kerio website it is not an Exchange account, it is an alternative to an Exchange account (whatever that means) so consult your inhouse IT dept for instructions as to how to set it up.

This (see below)

User uploaded file

Suggests that it is not an Exchange account but could be either POP or Imap, so now it is time for you to investigate (your symptons are indicative of a POP connection)

Take a screenshot of the Kerio mail account settings in use now. Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Account Type. Then post it here.

May 29, 2013 7:51 AM in response to Csound1

Sorry about that, I thought that I mentioned it being Exchange in the original post, but I must have lost that bit in an edit. Apologies, I didn't mean to sound terse.

On the iPad it appears to be an exchange account, I didn't see anything there about it being POP or IMAP. We aren't using Activesync (we're all apple here), but I'm not sure if there are any other protocols in use.

I just tried to set up my email on one of the MacBooks in the shop and it also had the same issue with the unread email. So, it would seem to me that it is some strange setting or something to do with the server configuration, I would think :/

May 29, 2013 7:56 AM in response to AshtonH49

AshtonH49 wrote:

Sorry about that, I thought that I mentioned it being Exchange in the original post,

It is not an Exchange account, take the screenshot I asked for and post it here.

On the iPad it appears to be an exchange account, I didn't see anything there about it being POP or IMAP. We aren't using Activesync (we're all apple here), but I'm not sure if there are any other protocols in use.

If it was an Exchange account you would be using ActivSync to access it on an iThing.

Until you provide the information asked for I can't help you.

Have you been to Kerio's website and read their setup directions or not, according to that you may use POP or Imap (no exchange option) and I will bet that you are setting up a POP account, the symptons you describe are exactly what happens when an account is accessed via POP.

Read this: http://manuals.kerio.com/connect/adminguide/en/sect-clients.html

Jun 6, 2013 6:52 AM in response to Csound1

I'm having this issue too. I'm despeate to find a solution. In my case, I am migrating several email accounts from Intermedia's hosted Exchange to hosted Kerio Connect at Big Mountain. Some migrations went fine, othere did not. This is what happens when things go poorly: After all the messages have been copied up to the Kerio Connect server, I put the Mail account (Exchange) online, all the messages that come down to Mail are marked as unread. This includes all the messages in subfolders, and even the messages in the Sent mailbox. The folks at Kerio say it's an Apple Mail bug. If I configure the same account in Outlook on the Mac, the Read/Unread flags are exactly what you would expect. They are correct in webmail and iOS devices too.

So Inistruct useres to select all the messages and mark them as read. However, some usres report that occasionally when they open Mail, all their messages will be gone and have to re downloaed. And when the do, they come in as unread again.

Mail app is marking every message unread until I read it locally

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.