Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

file sharing between MAB and iMac

I have an iMac running 10.6.8 and MacBook Air running 10.7.5. I cannot seem to see the public folders of each respective machine. Yes, I do have file sharing turned on. I am able to see the respective computer name for each. But when I click on the iMac form the MAB, it would say "Connecting ..." for a while and ended up notifying me that it cannot connect to the iMac. Son eissue on the iMac when I try to see the MAB. I even tried to change the user name on hte MAB to no avail. This is supposed to be real simple, but it is not so for me ...? What am I doing wrong?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 28, 2013 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2013 9:22 PM

I finally figured it out. In fact, I am surprised that this setting has never been mentioned in any file sharing questions in the Communities.

What happened was I need to turn off my Firewall. After that, I can see either machine (Public folder) from one another. In fact, the user's name has nothing to do with (as suggested by another post in the Communities). I went back and deleted the user's name I added previuosly and I was able to simply connect from the iMac to the MBA as "guest".

However, this is a bit unsettling since my firewall is wide open. I just have to remember to turn it on once I am done accessing what i need.

I hope this helps others out there that is struggling with this as I had.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2013 9:22 PM in response to tuyenfromaz

I finally figured it out. In fact, I am surprised that this setting has never been mentioned in any file sharing questions in the Communities.

What happened was I need to turn off my Firewall. After that, I can see either machine (Public folder) from one another. In fact, the user's name has nothing to do with (as suggested by another post in the Communities). I went back and deleted the user's name I added previuosly and I was able to simply connect from the iMac to the MBA as "guest".

However, this is a bit unsettling since my firewall is wide open. I just have to remember to turn it on once I am done accessing what i need.

I hope this helps others out there that is struggling with this as I had.

file sharing between MAB and iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.