Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which iLife for PPC G5

Ok I've been doing some reading and it looks like I should either get iLIfe 08 or iLife 09. I guess some of the features of iLife 09 won't work on a PPC G5, correct?

Anybody see any good side-by-side comparisions of the 2 versions?

Really I just want iPhoto to synch my pics from my iPhone and then sync with Flickr and then I want Garageband so I can use it to slow down songs without changing pitch so I can pick off the guitar solos and stuff. (I do this with Audacity now but would like to see how good Garageband works.)

Has anyone had any experience with either of these on a G5?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on May 29, 2013 6:12 AM

5 replies

May 29, 2013 8:59 AM in response to Klaus1

Yeah I had visited that link. That's where I read that some of the features of iLife 09 won't work. I was wondering if anyone here had experience with it and knows exactly how running it on a G5 works ...if it runs well and how much "can't" you do.

So you're saying I can't get my pics off my iPhone and import them into iPhoto 09? That doesn't seem right to me based on what I'm reading.

I've been reading stuff all morning ...I was hoping I could get someone(people) who is(are) actually using this configuration to post their experiences with how they work.

May 29, 2013 5:43 PM in response to Norseman2

I was using iLife '09 on my PowerMac G4 and no issues transferring my photos to iPhoto from my 3rd generation iPod Touch, my original iPad and my iPad 3.

I still use iLife ’09 on my Intel iMac.

Basically, you won't be able to use iMovie '09 to process AVCHD video without an Intel Mac for editing that type of content using iMovie '09. Any other video content you should be able to process if your G5 is fast enough.

I don't even like the newer incarnations of iMovie. I am still using iMovie '05 and iMovie HD (iMovie '06).

These were the last really good and powerful versions of iMovie.

iTunes, GarageBand, iPhoto and iDVD should all work with little to no issues.

iWeb, while you might be able to still use it to create web content, you can no longer use with Apple's MobileMe as they discontinued MobileMe. You have to look to other FTP sites to upload your iWeb content and hope that many things translate. Some of the way iWeb creates things won't translate well to some web hosting sites.

That's why many iWeb users needed to find other easy web creation tools to use in addition to or to replace iWeb.

I think I covered all of the things that your G5 may not be able to handle in iLife '09.

Which iLife for PPC G5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.