Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Macbook Pro will not start at all. I automatically get the Apple Icon and a pinwheel that keeps clocking. How do I fix?

If anyone can assist with why my Macbook Pro will not pass the first screen, please respond. I have been getting the spinning pinwheel for a few days and cannot lg on now. In recent days I deleted some files and thought that would help the computer move a little faster but now it will not sllow me to access my account. Any suggestions on how to get pass the initial screen?

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 29, 2013 6:34 AM

1 reply

May 29, 2013 8:05 PM in response to llny30

Could be many things, we should start with this...

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair Disk, (not Repair Permissions). Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.)

If perchance you can't find your install Disc, at least try it from the Safe Boot part onward.

If 10.7.0 or later...

Bootup holding CMD+r, or the Option/alt key to boot from the Restore partition & use Disk Utility from there to Repair the Disk, then Repair Permissions.

If that doesn't help Reinstall the OS.

My Macbook Pro will not start at all. I automatically get the Apple Icon and a pinwheel that keeps clocking. How do I fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.