Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to share apps with new user

I recently added a second user account with admin rights to my macbook pro - on this new user account I do not have access to most of the applications that I had installed on my original user account -- how do I share applications? Most importantly I want to share purchased software, such as Microsoft Office.

Thank you.

Message was edited by: AnnieDinCA

Posted on May 29, 2013 7:02 AM

1 reply

May 29, 2013 7:30 AM in response to AnnieDinCA

When you installed these applications, did you install them to the system-wide shared Applications folder or the private Applications folder belonging to your own user account?

Most applications that come with installers will install themselves in the system Applications folder (after asking for an administrator password). Some will ask where they should be installed. Microsoft Office uses an installer; as I recall, it does ask whether it should be available to just you or to everybody with an account on your system.

Applications that you install by dragging go wherever you drag them. Some even provide a shortcut (alias) to your system Applications folder for you to drag them into.

how to share apps with new user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.