Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail received displaying sending last name twice - why?

Here's a strange issue. I recently setup a new user on our domain for email, which is hosted by Google Apps. The new person (we'll call person 1) is using OSX 10.8.3, latest mail, etc... their mail settings on Apple Mail appear to be set correctly and I had this person send a message to myself and got it fine, formatted correctly.

However, another person (we'll call person 2) in the same domain will get messages from this same person (person 1) and the name which is put next to their email address displays their last name twice. As an example, here's how we typically setup email addesses:

first.last@ourdomain.com

This person (person 1) would send a message and only certain receiving people (person 2 and others) would get an email with the address formatted as such:

"last last" first.last@ourdomain.com.

Could it be the person getting mail (person 2) in this way has not enterted this new person (person 1) as a contact in their address book? I'm also being told that the same person (person 2) who is getting this strange formatted email when they try to create a new message to this person (person 1) and start to enter their name, the mail cache as remembered the same formatting as above, where the last name is repeated twice with no first name.

Hopefully this is not too confusing. I haven't been able to confirm person 2's address book to see if that's what's going on, but I suspect so.

Any idea what's going on here?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 12g Ram, ATI 5770, 2x 500g HD

Posted on May 29, 2013 8:50 AM

1 reply

May 31, 2013 11:35 AM in response to BrianMBM

Hello Brian,

Thanks for your question, and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

From the summary you provided, I think you are right on par with what is going on. I see two possibilities:

a) the receiver has a contact card setup that is misconfigured (last, last rather than first, last).

b) the sender has their last name twice in the settings of the mail account (Full Name)

Should it be circumstance "b", you can edit the information in Mail > Preferences > Accounts - Make sure "Full Name" is configured correctly.

Here are some helpful articles:

Mac Basics: Mail (OS X Mountain Lion)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5361

Mac Basics: Mail (Mac OS X v10.6 and earlier)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2500

Thanks,

Matt M.

Mail received displaying sending last name twice - why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.