4 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2013 6:31 AM by John Galt
gmermel Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

In order to do this, discussions I've searched and the knowledge base they reference (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4259) offer this:

knowledge base.png

On my Airport Extreme I have chosen "create network" in step 7.  I cannot find the "allow the network to be extended" choice  (step 8)

Here is the wireless panel for my extreme in Airport Utility 6.0,

Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 10.22.10 AM.png

and the resulting "wireless options" tab:

Screen Shot 2013-05-29 at 10.23.12 AM.png

Where is the "allow extension of network" button?

Meanwhile, I am advised to choose "bridge" when setting up my 1st gen express (via Utility 5.6):

bridge mode .png

This is what I see for "router mode".  As you can see I do not get "off bridge mode" as a choice.

express wireless tab.png

I have tried to help you help me as best I can by being as detailed as possible.

Can anyone help find the step(s) I am missing?

• John Galt Level 8 Level 8 (39,420 points)

It's not your fault - the KB article you reference is outdated and the "allow network to be extended" does not appear in AirPort Utility 6.x. That version of AU is designed for 802.11n - capable base stations and that option occurs automatically, but if you wish you can use AirPort Utility 5.6 and see for yourself.

If your Express is a first generation model A1084 it cannot "wirelessly extend" a network. Your only viable option is to connect it to your Extreme with an Ethernet cable. Then, "hard reset" the Express by holding its reset button depressed continuously, five or ten seconds, long enough for its LED to flash rapidly. After it completes its startup sequence you can then use AirPort Utilty 5.6 to configure it. In the Internet pane, choose "Connect Using" > Ethernet. On that same page you must set "Connection Sharing" > off to enable Bridge Mode.

In the AirPort pane, Wireless tab > Wireless Mode, choose Create a wireless network (not "participate" or "join") and make absolutely certain its Wireless Network Name, Security, and Password are all exactly the same as those for your Extreme.

This will "extend" your network using Ethernet and is the only practical way to keep your first generation Express in service.

• gmermel Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I had a feeling Apple had "obsolesced" my express.

Thanks for confirming they get to sell a new one......

• stumichelson Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

yup.

i just ran into the same problem.

everything fine until i just bought a new retina macbook.  naturally, i updated everything.

subsequently, i can't print or listen to itunes with my "old" perfectly functional airport express(es).

i can't load the old airport version 5.4 or 5.6 because they suddenly are not supported.

kudos to apple for their planned obsolescence.

i've owned nothing but apple products for 30+ years.

guess i am going with samsung for my new phone.

kind of a bummer.  apple is becoming microsoft.

• John Galt Level 8 Level 8 (39,420 points)

i can't load the old airport version 5.4 or 5.6 because they suddenly are not supported.

You can use this workaround Stu: How to Configured an old AirPort Express

The original Express is nine years old. Good luck using your new Samdung phone in 2022.