Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting to Windows-Friendly Format

Hello Apple forums,

I am running the latest version of Final Cut Express on Mountain Lion 10.8.3. Surprisingly, my FCE runs well and works as it should.

I was working on a client's job, and I exported the final product as a QuickTime movie file to give to the client on a flash drive (encoded as exFAT, if that matters).

When he went to open them on a computer running Windows 7, he was unable to view the movies, and we later found it was because the files were formatted in an Apple-specific codec, but disguised under the visage of a .mov file. We had the name of the codec, but I forgot the name of it and I will edit this post with the name of the codec when I find out what the name was again.

His goal was to upload the video to YouTube, and the files weren't compatible with YouTube.

⚠ I was wondering if there was a way I could export my FCE sequences as a file format that WASN'T only compatible with Macs. ⚠

Back on Snow Leopard, I didn't have this problem; however, I am now using high-quality HD footage as compared to before when I was using 240p quality footage.

Any help on this would be very appreciated. If you need to know more details, please, just ask away and I will be more than happy to provide any more information. Thank you for your time!

I will award points for helpful answers too, so if you think you might know something, just post anyways. 🙂

- Justin

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

Posted on May 29, 2013 9:26 AM

4 replies

May 29, 2013 9:44 AM in response to Justin: Mac Man

The .mov extension is like saying "brown cardboard box." It helps identify the box, but not the contents inside the box, which can be a huge variety of codecs.

To create a file that would be most likely to be universally playable, try converting the file to H.264. It will be the correct format for upload to You Tube as well.

H.264 will preserve the quality of your video in a greatly reduced file size.

MtD

May 29, 2013 10:33 AM in response to Justin: Mac Man

In QuickTime X, go to the menu File > Export.

Look for the word Format next to a drop down menu.

Choose either 720p or 1080p (I would go with 720p for smaller file size but up to you)

Select your destination for the file and click Export.

The resultant file will have the .mov extension (remember the "cardboard box"?) but if you load the file in to QuickTime X and then go to the menu Window > Show Movie Inspector, the Inspector will show that it is an H.264 file.

This should be playable almost anywhere.

MtD

Exporting to Windows-Friendly Format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.