Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help!!! My OS X cannot read/open AVCHD and BDMV files

The AVCHD files as they come off my Canon XA10 camcorder are not recognized by my brand new OS X version 10.8.3. They cannot be opened, nor are they recognized and cannot be opened by my Final Cut Pro X. What to do? The support article states that OS X is supposed to do it just fine and the Final Cut Pro X instructions also say that?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 29, 2013 10:43 AM

2 replies

May 29, 2013 11:04 AM in response to Mima Maria

If you plug the camera into the computer, and the click on the camera storage media to open it, do you get a window that looks like this?

User uploaded file

Then Control-click on the AVCHD icon and from the drop down menu choose Open with Quicktime X:

User uploaded file

Quicktime will show you the available files to Open:

User uploaded file

Select on then click the Open button to Play it in QuickTime.

MtD

May 29, 2013 4:43 PM in response to Mima Maria

I don't use Final Cut Pro, but in iMovie, you just tell iMovie to import from the disk and it displays a window similar to what Meg the Dog posted. You can choose the clips you want to import.

If that doesn't work and you need to open the individual .mts files, right-click on the AVCHD file and choose Show Package Contents. You'll have to do that for some of the internal folders as well.

Please help!!! My OS X cannot read/open AVCHD and BDMV files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.