Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB wifi dongle not working?

Hi there,

I thought I'd buy a USB wifi dongle to see if I could improve the download speed of my iBook (600 Mhz PowerPC G3 with 640MB SDRAM running Mac OS 10.4.11).

I bought a USB dongle from iceitech.co.uk (WiFi 150Mbps WIRELESS 802.11n Mini USB 2.0 Dongle Adapter WIN 7/VISTA/XP/LINUX). I downloaded and installed the drivers, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to configure the dongle. At the moment I get a 'Please enable the WLAN card in Network item of System Preferences' when I start up my laptop in the 'Wireless Network Utility' window. I can see the dongle in my Network Port Configurations as 'Ethernet Adaptor (en2)'. I can configure it but the Network still seems to use the Airport. In Network Status the Ethernet Adaptor (en3) has a red traffic light with an adjacent message which reads 'The cable for the Ethernet Adaptor (en3) is not plugged in'. What cable? I'm well confused? The dongle just sits there in the USB slot with its blue light blinking on and off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Richard

Posted on May 29, 2013 2:31 PM

1 reply

Jun 5, 2013 2:05 PM in response to richardesigner

Hello,

I'm not intially sure of the compatiablilty of this to your iBook.

It says Mac, but not sure what version the divers are refering to. It's also USB 1.1 which your iBook is USB 1.0

If it has been installed and setup, it should appear in System Prefernces > Network as Ethernet adapter.

If it's shown as cable unconnected, then you may need to add this in network.

Go to Wireless Network Utility within Utility

Go to the tab of “Available Network”. Your wireless network should show up. Select your wireless network. Click on “Add to Profile”.

In the field of “Network Key” and ‘Confirm network key”, enter the wireless security key (also known as Passphrase). Click on OK.

Please note the wireless encryption key is case sensitive. Most wifi issue is caused by wrong encryption key. If you do not know your key, you will need to check the wireless security settings in your wireless router.

Best of Luck

USB wifi dongle not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.