Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Overlapping icons in Applications Folder Dock icon

I recently upgraded to a MBP Retina running 10.8.3 Mountain Lion.

Deciding to re-install apps and cleanup old unused stuff, I didn't use the Migration Assistant.

I opened Finder and dragged the Applications folder to the Dock. When I did so, the preference was to display as Stack. At first, it was showing the Mac App Store icon as it was the first app listed in the folder. When I installed Adium.app, Adium became the first app listed in the folder and now I have the Adium "duck" icon overlapping the blue Mac App Store icon.

If I rename Adium.app to Badium.app, the Mac App Store is the icon displayed on the Dock. If I rename Adium.app to anything alphabetically before App Store, they overlap. I've tried dragging the Applications folder off the Dock and re-adding it, running the command "killall Dock" from Terminal, logging out and back in, and even rebooting. Deleting the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist doesn't fix it.

How do I get the folder to display the first app instead of overlapping or having to have the folder displayed as a "Folder"?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 29, 2013 9:09 PM

3 replies

May 29, 2013 9:24 PM in response to Barney-15E

Ok - I may not have phrased my question correctly.

I have right-clicked on the icon and toggled between Stack and Folder. Folder displays an ugly blue folder w/ the App Icon. Stack displays Adium overlapping the Mac App Store. Maybe the other apps icons are present but just obscured by the blue circular App Store icon.

I don't want overlapping, or "stacked" icons. I want the old Lion (10.7.x) style of showing the first icon in your Applications folder without "stacking" all the other apps behind it.

Overlapping icons in Applications Folder Dock icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.